Amex Cuts Priority Pass Restaurant Access — Here’s What You Can Do
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Effective Thursday, Aug. 1, 2019, American Express has cut complimentary airport restaurant access for its cards that include a Priority Pass membership. The silver lining, however, is that the perk remains for other cards that include Priority Pass.
There are currently 28 eligible restaurants in US airports that are a part of the Priority Pass program and 16 others across the globe. Fortunately, cards like the Chase Sapphire Reserve, U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite Card and Citi Prestige should still offer Priority Pass memberships that include restaurant access as long Amex credit cards have cut that benefit at this time. These cards provide a set amount to spend at the airport restaurants for the membership holder and eligible guests (often around $28 each), so it’s easy to piece together an almost free meal for the whole family before your flight — just remember to tip.
The information for the U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
While things can always change in the future, TPG has confirmed with Chase that the Sapphire Reserve’s Priority Pass membership will continue to offer access to airport restaurants. Citi has also said it has no plans to change any benefits at this time. Additionally, US Bank verified that the Altitude Reserve card’s Priority Pass benefit will remain the same.
But if your current Priority Pass membership was generated through your Amex card, it’s officially time to set that one to the side. If you have a non-Amex card with Priority Pass, like those mentioned above, your next task is to login to your account, surf over to benefits and follow the instructions for activating Priority Pass membership, if you haven’t already. If you don’t have one of those cards, and you plan to visit Priority Pass restaurants, signing up for one of those cards should be added to your to-do list.
The Priority Pass lounge membership program is one of the most popular and widespread benefits of many premium credit cards, offering access to more than 1,200 airport lounges and restaurants around the globe. While you may need to change up your strategy for accessing Priority Pass restaurants, there are still plenty of ways to fuel-up before your next flight thanks to your rewards credit cards.
Featured image by The Points Guy Staff.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
SIGN-UP BONUS: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on all travel and dining, $300 annual travel credit, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners.
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $900 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year. Through December 31, 2021, gas station & grocery store purchases will also count towards earning your Travel Credit
- Earn 5X total points on air travel and 10X total points on hotels and car rentals when you purchase travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards® immediately after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually. Earn 3X points on other travel and dining & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $900 toward travel
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 50% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,300+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select and up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more