Amex will add a spend tracker for Centurion lounge guest access in 2022
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this month, we received confirmation from American Express that they were about to make a very consequential change to their Amex Platinum cards. Namely, a major cut was coming to the guest policy of its widely popular Centurion Lounges for most cardmembers. This meant The Platinum Card® from American Express cardholders would no longer be allowed to bring in two friends or family members for free, instead having to pay for all guests beginning Feb. 1, 2023.
New to The Points Guy? Want to learn more about credit card points and miles? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
That stings. At present, you can bring two guests for free into the lounge with you. But the rates will soon become:
- $50 per adult
- $30 per child (between 2 and 17 years old)
The only way to beat these guest fees is by spending a whopping $75,000 on your card between Jan. 1, 2022, and Dec. 31, 2022. While this high spending threshold was added to reduce overcrowding at Centurion Lounges, I can’t imagine most people will actually put $75,000 spend on one card to unlock guest privileges.
If you’re someone trying to meet this threshold, Amex has added a feature to their website that’ll simplify the process for you.
New Amex Platinum spending tracker
American Express is turning its Centurion Lounges upside down and shaking them for anyone who isn’t an Amex Platinum cardholder. You’ve got 1.5 years left to enjoy bringing friends or family into the lounge before you’ll be charged a fee for them. If you spend $75,000 between Jan. 1, 2022, and Dec. 31, 2022, you will to continue to receive two free guests.
For those who can meet the $75,000 yearly spend — or want to give it a shot — American Express is adding a “spend tracker” to its app. This way, you’ll be able to see how close you are to your goal. Per the Amex Centurion Lounge FAQ page:
“Starting in 2022, you will be able to check your Platinum Card’s spend tracker in the Membership tab within the Amex App, or the Benefits Dashboard in your American Express online account. Eligible purchases may take up to 12 weeks to be reflected.”
Amex may tell you this guest policy change is to prevent their lounges from becoming crowded, offering a more enjoyable experience for their Platinum cardmembers. Indeed, solo travelers will surely appreciate fewer bodies. But there’s no philanthropy going on with Amex here — they’re angling at one of two things:
- More of your money (between $30 and $50 per guest)
- All of your credit card spending ($75,000 per year)
Fortunately, if you travel with friends or family with regularity, you’ve still got the option to add up to three authorized users to The Platinum Card® from American Express for $175 total (see rates and fees). Authorized users will receive free Centurion Lounge access, as well — meaning you could offset your authorized user fee in as little as two visits.
American Express understands that a $75,000 spending threshold is a difficult requirement. As a consolation, it plans to add a spending tracker to help you keep track of your progress.
Thanks anyway, Amex. Most of us will go the route of adding authorized users — and utilize our annual spend in more productive ways — like earning giant welcome bonuses on other cards.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum, click here.
Featured Photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees