You’ll Soon Be Able to Transfer Amex Points to Aer Lingus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
What makes American Express Membership Rewards points so valuable is the flexibility they provide. Right now, you can transfer them to 16 frequent flyer programs, and two hotel partners. And soon, that roster of airlines will be even greater.
Beginning later in August, Membership Rewards-earning cardholders will be able to transfer their points directly to AerClub, the loyalty program of Aer Lingus. As with the other Avios programs that Amex points can be transferred to, the transfers will be at a 1:1 ratio, and in increments in 1,000 points.
Because Aer Lingus’ AerClub uses a distance-based award chart, the new program could offer US-based travelers the opportunity for some valuable redemptions. For instance, based on the award chart, you can fly from New York (JFK), Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD) or Toronto (YYZ) to Dublin (DUB) in the off-peak season for just 13,000 Avios one-way in economy (20,000 one-way in peak season) or 50,000 Avios one-way in business (60,000 one-way in peak season). Plus, unlike British Airways, Aer Lingus doesn’t charge outrageous fuel surcharges for awards.
With the addition of Aer Lingus, Amex cardholders who earn Membership Rewards points will have the option to transfer points to 17 airline partners and two hotel partners. Airline partners include: Aer Lingus AerClub (as of later this month), Air Canada Aeroplan, Air France-KLM Flying Blue, Alitalia MilleMiglia, All Nippon Airways Mileage Club, British Airways Executive Club, Cathay Pacifc Asia Miles, Delta SkyMiles, El Al Matmid, Emirates Skywards, Etihad Guest, Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles, Iberia Plus, JetBlue TrueBlue, Singapore KrisFlyer and Virgin Atlantic Flying Club. Hotel partners include Choice Privileges and Hilton Honors.
Aer Lingus will be the newest airline partner for Membership Rewards since Etihad Guest was launched in 2016. It’s always been possible to transfer points to the British Airways Avios program, and then transfer British Airways Avios to AerClub, but with the new direct transfer, redemptions will be simpler.
As a reminder, AerClub is also a 1:1 transfer partner of the Chase Ultimate Rewards program. While AerClub has some fantastic sweet spots, as always, we never recommend transferring points or miles until you have a specific redemption in mind.
Featured image by rypson / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees