You’ll Soon Be Able to Transfer Amex Points to Aer Lingus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
What makes American Express Membership Rewards points so valuable is the flexibility they provide. Right now, you can transfer them to 16 frequent flyer programs, and two hotel partners. And soon, that roster of airlines will be even greater.
Beginning later in August, Membership Rewards-earning cardholders will be able to transfer their points directly to AerClub, the loyalty program of Aer Lingus. As with the other Avios programs that Amex points can be transferred to, the transfers will be at a 1:1 ratio, and in increments in 1,000 points.
Because Aer Lingus’ AerClub uses a distance-based award chart, the new program could offer US-based travelers the opportunity for some valuable redemptions. For instance, based on the award chart, you can fly from New York (JFK), Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD) or Toronto (YYZ) to Dublin (DUB) in the off-peak season for just 13,000 Avios one-way in economy (20,000 one-way in peak season) or 50,000 Avios one-way in business (60,000 one-way in peak season). Plus, unlike British Airways, Aer Lingus doesn’t charge outrageous fuel surcharges for awards.
With the addition of Aer Lingus, Amex cardholders who earn Membership Rewards points will have the option to transfer points to 17 airline partners and two hotel partners. Airline partners include: Aer Lingus AerClub (as of later this month), Air Canada Aeroplan, Air France-KLM Flying Blue, Alitalia MilleMiglia, All Nippon Airways Mileage Club, British Airways Executive Club, Cathay Pacifc Asia Miles, Delta SkyMiles, El Al Matmid, Emirates Skywards, Etihad Guest, Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles, Iberia Plus, JetBlue TrueBlue, Singapore KrisFlyer and Virgin Atlantic Flying Club. Hotel partners include Choice Privileges and Hilton Honors.
Aer Lingus will be the newest airline partner for Membership Rewards since Etihad Guest was launched in 2016. It’s always been possible to transfer points to the British Airways Avios program, and then transfer British Airways Avios to AerClub, but with the new direct transfer, redemptions will be simpler.
As a reminder, AerClub is also a 1:1 transfer partner of the Chase Ultimate Rewards program. While AerClub has some fantastic sweet spots, as always, we never recommend transferring points or miles until you have a specific redemption in mind.
Featured image by rypson / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Apply and select your preferred metal Card design: classic Platinum Card®, Platinum x Kehinde Wiley, or Platinum x Julie Mehretu.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings, which requires a minimum two-night stay, through American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®. And if you fly, you can receive up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year after you select a qualifying airline and incidental fees are charged by the airline to your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 back each month on eligible purchases made with your Platinum Card® on one or more of the following: Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax. Plus Ups are excluded.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. There are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on the Equinox+ digital fitness app, or eligible Equinox club memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $189 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $189 back per year on your CLEAR® membership. CLEAR® is available at select airports and stadiums.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees