This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express has been on a roll lately with transfer bonuses, offering anywhere from 10%-40% bonuses when you transfer your Membership Rewards points to partner airlines. Through Nov. 30, you can register to earn a 25% bonus on transfers to Aeromexico Club Premier.
Unlike other Amex transfer bonuses, this one isn’t automatically linked to your Membership Rewards account. You have to register with Aeromexico at this link before transferring your points. Amex normally transfers to Aeromexico at a 1:1.6 rate, but with the 25% bonus you’ll end up earning 2,000 Premier Points for every 1,000 Membership Rewards points you transfer.
The best way to earn Membership Rewards points is by taking advantage of a welcome bonus on an Amex card. Here are some of the best current offers:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 60,000 bonus points for spending $5,000 in the first three months of Card Membership
- American Express® Gold Card: 25,000 bonus points for spending $2,000 in the first three months of Card Membership
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express: Up to 75,000 bonus points for spending $20,000 in the first three months of Card Membership
Aeromexico’s partner award chart is pretty average — not too expensive, but not many sweet spots either. For example, round-trip flights from the US to Europe on SkyTeam airlines cost 96,000 Premier Points in economy and 220,000 in business class. Remember with the normal 1:16 transfer ratio, that’s 60,000 Membership Rewards points in economy and 137,500 in business.
The best value redemption in Club Premier are around-the-world tickets, which price out at 224,000 Premier Points in economy and 352,000 in business. With the current bonus, you’d only need to transfer 112,000 or 176,000 Membership Rewards points, and the routing rules are incredibly generous:
- You must travel in the same direction, east or west.
- Travel must begin and end in the same country.
- It’s only valid on SkyTeam-operated flights.
- You must have a minimum of three and a maximum of 15 stopovers, with no more than five per continent.
- All flights must be booked in the same class of service.
This allows you to criss-cross the world at a fraction of the cost, and is one reason that the Club Premier program actually deserves some recognition.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees