This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express has been on a roll lately with transfer bonuses, offering anywhere from 10%-40% bonuses when you transfer your Membership Rewards points to partner airlines. Now through February 14, 2019, you can receive a 25% bonus on transfers to Aeromexico Club Premier.
This is not a targeted bonus and you don’t need to register for it either, you should see the higher transfer ratio automatically reflected when you log into your Amex account. Membership Rewards points normally transfer to Aeromexico at a 1:1.6 rate, but with the 25% bonus you’ll end up earning 2,000 Premier Points for every 1,000 Membership Rewards points you transfer.
The best way to earn Membership Rewards points is by taking advantage of a welcome bonus on an Amex card. Here are some of the best current offers:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 60,000 bonus points for spending $5,000 in the first three months of Card Membership
- American Express® Gold Card: 35,000 bonus points for spending $2,000 in the first three months of Card Membership
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express: Up to 75,000 bonus points for spending $20,000 in the first three months of Card Membership
Aeromexico’s partner award chart is pretty average — not too expensive, but not many sweet spots either. For example, round-trip flights from the US to Europe on SkyTeam airlines cost 96,000 Premier Points in economy and 220,000 in business class. Remember with the normal 1:16 transfer ratio, that’s 60,000 Membership Rewards points in economy and 137,500 in business.
The best value redemption in Club Premier are around-the-world tickets, which price out at 224,000 Premier Points in economy and 352,000 in business. With the current bonus, you’d only need to transfer 112,000 or 176,000 Membership Rewards points, and the routing rules are incredibly generous:
- You must travel in the same direction, east or west.
- Travel must begin and end in the same country.
- It’s only valid on SkyTeam-operated flights.
- You must have a minimum of three and a maximum of 15 stopovers, with no more than five per continent.
- All flights must be booked in the same class of service.
This allows you to criss-cross the world at a fraction of the cost, and is one reason that the Club Premier program actually deserves some recognition.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards