Get a 25% bonus for transferring Amex Membership Rewards points to Aeromexico
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
American Express offers regular transfer bonuses for some key partner programs, giving cardholders anywhere from 10%-40% additional points or miles when you transfer your Membership Rewards to partner airlines. And a new one just launched today: Now through February 14, 2020, you can receive a 25% bonus on transfers to AeroMexico Club Premier.
This is not a targeted bonus and you don’t need to register for it either. You should see the higher transfer ratio automatically reflected when you log into your Amex account. Membership Rewards points normally transfer to Aeromexico at a 1:1.6 rate, but with the 25% bonus you’ll end up earning 2,000 Premier Points for every 1,000 Membership Rewards points you transfer.
The best way to earn Membership Rewards points is by taking advantage of a welcome bonus on an Amex card. Here are some of the best current offers:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in your first 6 months of Card Membership, though you may be targeted for a 100,000-point bonus through the CardMatch Tool (offer subject to change at any time). Terms apply.
- American Express® Gold Card: Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months. Terms apply.
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express: Earn 85,000 bonus points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Terms Apply.
Aeromexico’s partner award chart is pretty average — not too expensive, but not many sweet spots either. For example, round-trip flights from the US to Europe on SkyTeam airlines cost 96,000 Premier Points in economy and 220,000 in business class. With the normal 1:16 transfer ratio, that’s 60,000 Membership Rewards points in economy and 137,500 in business, though during the transfer bonus, that’ll drop to 48,000 Amex points and 110,000 Amex points, respectively.
The best value redemption in Club Premier are around-the-world tickets, which price out at 224,000 Premier Points in economy and 352,000 in business. With the current bonus, you’d only need to transfer 112,000 or 176,000 Membership Rewards points, and the routing rules are incredibly generous:
- You must travel in the same direction, east or west.
- Travel must begin and end in the same country.
- It’s only valid on SkyTeam-operated flights.
- You must have a minimum of three and a maximum of 15 stopovers, with no more than five per continent.
- All flights must be booked in the same class of service.
This allows you to criss-cross the world at a fraction of the cost, and is one reason that the Club Premier program actually deserves some recognition — though be forewarned that many reports indicate that these awards are incredibly hard to actually ticket.
Featured photo by John Gress/Corbis via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually (only for use in the U.S.)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees