American retires 26 MD-80s in one-day ‘Super 80 Send-Off’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Don’t be surprised if you see #Super80SendOff trending on your avgeek social media feeds today.
American’s last MD-80 flight was scheduled to take off at 9 a.m. CT this morning, the last of 26 “Mad Dogs” that will make their final flights for the carrier today.
That officially will close the MD-80 era at American, which famously still refers to its MD-80s with the “Super 80” moniker the jets were once known by. The carrier once had 362 of the jets in its fleet, “representing approximately one-third of all MD-80s ever produced by McDonnell Douglas,” according to American.
Celebrations and remembrances were planned across American’s network today, with both employees and enthusiasts showing up to see the jet head off into retirement.
Many are nostalgic, though some others said it’s time for the aging jet to go.
Stayed tuned to TPG later today for coverage from American’s last-ever revenue flight on the MD-80. Here’s what we’ll have coming during the next 24 hours:
- TPG Aviation Reporter Zach Wichter is on the final revenue flight from Dallas/Fort Worth to Chicago. Read his recap from the final flight.
- TPG Reporter Zach Griff and TPG Community Manager Wallace Cotton are on a media flight to Roswell, the boneyard where many of American’s retired MD-80s have ended up. Look for a recap from the scene by Thursday.
- And, in case you missed it, TPG Managing Editor Alberto Riva wrote a fond farewell to the MD-80 while TPG’s Senior Points & Miles Writer JT Genter took a contrarian approach by saying he won’t miss it.
Featured image courtesy of American Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.