American retires 26 MD-80s in one-day ‘Super 80 Send-Off’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Don’t be surprised if you see #Super80SendOff trending on your avgeek social media feeds today.
American’s last MD-80 flight was scheduled to take off at 9 a.m. CT this morning, the last of 26 “Mad Dogs” that will make their final flights for the carrier today.
That officially will close the MD-80 era at American, which famously still refers to its MD-80s with the “Super 80” moniker the jets were once known by. The carrier once had 362 of the jets in its fleet, “representing approximately one-third of all MD-80s ever produced by McDonnell Douglas,” according to American.
Celebrations and remembrances were planned across American’s network today, with both employees and enthusiasts showing up to see the jet head off into retirement.
Many are nostalgic, though some others said it’s time for the aging jet to go.
Stayed tuned to TPG later today for coverage from American’s last-ever revenue flight on the MD-80. Here’s what we’ll have coming during the next 24 hours:
- TPG Aviation Reporter Zach Wichter is on the final revenue flight from Dallas/Fort Worth to Chicago. Read his recap from the final flight.
- TPG Reporter Zach Griff and TPG Community Manager Wallace Cotton are on a media flight to Roswell, the boneyard where many of American’s retired MD-80s have ended up. Look for a recap from the scene by Thursday.
- And, in case you missed it, TPG Managing Editor Alberto Riva wrote a fond farewell to the MD-80 while TPG’s Senior Points & Miles Writer JT Genter took a contrarian approach by saying he won’t miss it.
Featured image courtesy of American Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees