American Airlines will build a new 15,000-square-foot lounge in Austin
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines’ commitment to Austin is getting even stronger.
The Fort Worth-based carrier unveiled plans on Tuesday to build a brand-new lounge in the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS).
At more than 15,000 square feet, the new Admirals Club, located near Gate 14, will have room for more than 250 passengers and will break ground next year. When it opens, it’ll be the largest lounge in the airport.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
American’s existing Admirals Club in Austin, located across from Gate 22, will remain operational throughout the construction project. American says that an opening date and construction timeline will be announced at a later date.
The carrier shared just one mock-up of the new lounge, and while plans may change, the interior looks quite promising. There will be floor-to-ceiling windows, a variety of seating areas and locally inspired art installations.
The airline also teased that the new lounge will feature live music from local artists.
“Austin has such a unique energy, with its fascinating mix of technology and arts. American wants to create a club that reflects that eclectic style and pays homage to the lively music scene,” said Clarissa Sebastian, American’s managing director of premium customer experience and onboard products. “We can’t wait for customers to experience the new space, with much more room to relax, unwind and enjoy.”
American’s new Admirals Club outpost in Austin marks the carrier’s latest expansion in the Texas capital.
In the past year alone, the airline has added a whopping 25 routes to the city, two of which were just unveiled earlier this week. At this point, some industry observers might be wondering when the airline will designate Austin as a focus city.
From the expanded network to the investment in the ground experience, American is clearly making a play for the local Austin market.
The carrier has added a mix of both business- and leisure-focused routes in a long-term play for capitalizing on the growth the city has seen from major companies moving (or expanding) there. American wants to position itself as the carrier of choice for locals, regardless of whether you’re traveling for work or for pleasure.
In fact, it isn’t just American doubling down on Austin. The airport has had a blockbuster year — despite the pandemic — with growth from many major carriers.
Alaska, Allegiant Air, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue and Southwest have all unveiled new routes to the city this year. Additionally, Delta plans to reinstate just two of its five focus cities post-pandemic, with Austin and Raleigh-Durham returning.
Delta and United also have lounges in Austin, but American’s new one is poised to become the nicest.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees