Three US guests found dead at Sandals resort in the Bahamas
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Three American guests were found dead Friday at a resort in the Bahamas, the country’s acting Prime Minister said Friday. Health officials are now investigating the cause.
According to a statement released Friday evening from Bahamas Acting Prime Minister Chester Cooper, two men and a woman died at a property on Exuma. Cooper’s top spokesperson said on Twitter, that this occurred at the Sandals Emerald Bay Resort in the Bahamas. A fourth victim– an American woman – has also been airlifted to a hospital in the Bahamas.
A Statement from the Acting Prime Minister, Hon. Chester Cooper regarding the death of three Americans at a resort property in Exuma. pic.twitter.com/hwe2Ahkvin
— Latrae L. Rahming (@latraelrahming) May 6, 2022
Want more TPG news delivered every morning to your inbox? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Investigators do not suspect foul play in the deaths, but noted the cause of death for the victims is still unknown.
Officials with Sandals confirmed the death of the three guests to TPG Saturday afternoon.
“A health emergency was initially reported and following our protocols we immediately alerted emergency medical professionals and relevant local authorities,” a resort spokesperson said in a statement.
Sandals officials added, the company is “actively working to support both the investigation and well as the guests’ families in every way possible during this difficult time.” Citing privacy concerns, though, the resort said it could not share further details.
In a statement, The Royal Bahamas Police Force said the investigation began Friday morning when resort staff alerted officers after discovering one of the victims unresponsive in a villa.
A short time later, resort staff discovered the other two unresponsive victims — a couple, according to the statement — in a second villa. Police said those victims “showed signs of convulsion,” and had apparently visited a local medical facility the night before, because they were feeling ill. Police said the couple returned to the resort after receiving treatment.
The Sandals Emerald Bay is a large, all-inclusive resort that sits on 500 acres in the Bahamas visited by a large number of U.S. and international guests each year.
This is a developing story. We will update this post as we learn new information
Featured photo by Pola Damonte/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees