No, American and Etihad’s partnership is not ending
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines’ AAdvantage program includes partnerships with Oneworld airlines along with some notable carriers that aren’t full alliance members, including Air Tahiti Nui and Fiji Airways. This morning, it briefly appeared that one of these partnerships was coming to an end, as One Mile at a Time noted that Etihad had been pulled from American’s list of partners on AA.com. While the page touting the partnership is still accessible, this was an ominous sign.
Thankfully, for anyone looking to book Etihad’s fantastic first-class with AAdvantage miles, you can breathe a sigh of relief, as an American spokesperson has clarified that the partnership remains intact and that Etihad was removed “in error” from the partner page. It has now been corrected.
Unfortunately, it’s worth noting that Etihad awards are no longer appearing on AA.com, a functionality that was added less than a year ago. Sure enough, here are the search results from ExpertFlyer (which is owned by TPG’s parent company, Red Ventures) for a flight from Abu Dhabi (AUH) to New York-JFK in November:
The award inventory also appears through the Etihad Guest program:
However, none of the three classes appear on American’s website:
That being said, you can still book Etihad flights over the phone. I called American and spoke to an agent, who was able to pull up Etihad award tickets in all classes of service within 20 seconds.
An American spokesperson confirmed in an email to TPG that the lack of online award inventory was related to a technical glitch:
“Our teams are working to resolve a technical error impacting Etihad (EY) award itineraries, and have temporarily removed the ability to book awards with EY as the governing carrier on aa.com. Customers may contact our Reservations department to book EY awards in the interim, and we apologize for the error and the inconvenience.”
For the time being, it appears that both of these issues are technical in nature. However, if you’ve been eyeing an Etihad award ticket with AAdvantage miles (or an American flight with Etihad Guest miles), I’d still encourage you to book these sooner rather than later. Rumors have circulated for some time now about American and Etihad cutting ties, and given American’s recent reinstatement of codesharing with Oneworld member Qatar — a key competitor of Etihad — it wouldn’t be surprising to see changes to the partnership in the future.
Remember that loyalty currencies should never be a long-term investment, and redeeming American miles is a fantastic way to enjoy Etihad’s First Apartment or its solid business-class product, so don’t wait until it’s too late.
Featured photo by Javier Rodriguez / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees