American Airlines delays by a month the introduction of a new fee structure for award tickets
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines has changed the timeline on its new rules for fees on award bookings. The terms on the AA site have been quietly updated, showing that the airline has delayed the implementation of its new award-fee structure by a month.
Previously, American had announced that travelers could make free award-ticket changes and redeposits of their miles at least 60 days in advance, for award travel booked after June 1. That date now shifts forward by a month. For award travel ticketed on or after July 1, 2020, “we’ll waive change and reinstatement fees when the change is made at least 60 days before travel,” the AA site says.
The delay of the new award-fee structure corresponds to the airline’s temporary waiver of change and cancellation fees because of the coronavirus. This waiver was recently extended to June 30, and includes award tickets. So American has now delayed the new award-fee structure by a month.
For changes made within 60 days of departure, the change and cancellation-fee chart announced previously will go into effect on July 1, as detailed below. Fees still vary according to the elite status of the AAdvantage account holder whose miles are being used for the booking.
|Elite status tier||60 days or more||Between 7 and 59 days||Less than 7 days|
We have covered previously how the changes to award-booking fees would be positive for some flyers, but amount to a stealthy devaluation of the value of AAdvantage miles for others.
For most people, the changes going into effect on July 1 are a net positive. The fee to change an award ticket or redeposit miles was previously $150, regardless of status, except for Executive Platinum members who could always make free changes and cancellations. Beginning July 1, no one will be charged a fee as long as any changes or cancellation of award itineraries happen at least 60 days before departure. This applies to all awards, including Web Special tickets which previously couldn’t be changed at all.
But the new structure introduces change and redeposit fees for award-ticket types that previously would not have any and were, therefore, extremely flexible.
American previously allowed MileSAAver awards to be changed without fee, as long as the origin, destination and airline(s) remained the same. Change fees were also waived for AAnytime (standard) awards, even when making a change to the origin and destination. These fee-free changes could be made anytime before scheduled departure. When it comes to reinstating miles for a canceled award, the fee was previously $150 for the first ticket and $25 for any other redeposits done at the same time into the same account.
But now, all AAdvantage award tickets booked on or after July 1 will be subject to the new fee structure, both for changes that would currently be allowed for free and for redeposits of two or more tickets that would currently be processed at a discount.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees