American Airlines to end New York-Savannah flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is ending weekend-only service between New York LaGuardia and Savannah, citing losses on the route to the coastal city in Georgia.
The Oneworld alliance carrier will end its Saturday and Sunday flights between LaGuardia (LGA) and Savannah (SAV) on May 3, according to Cirium schedules and confirmed by American. The airline flew 44-seat Embraer ERJ-140 jets on the route, which it has served since 2018.
American spokeswoman Nichelle Barrett, when asked if the decision to end service was related to the pending early retirement of small regional jets like the ERJ-140, said the route was unprofitable. The carrier is being forced to remove four such aircraft earlier than expected because of the continued Boeing 737 MAX grounding and restrictions in company’s contract with pilots.
The Fort Worth, Texas-based carrier faced a plethora of competition between New York and Savannah. The city is also served by Delta Air Lines from LaGuardia; both Delta and JetBlue Airways from New York John F. Kennedy (JFK); and Allegiant Air and United Airlines from Newark Liberty (EWR), Cirium schedules show.
The airline’s decision to end New York-Savannah flights comes a week after it disclosed that it would end another LaGuardia route. American is dropping Saturday-only service between LaGuardia and Bermuda (BDA) in May, which Barrett told TPG is also due to financial losses.
In January, American executives outlined plans to grow system capacity by 4-5% year-over-year in 2020. However, the combined impact of the MAX grounding and now the coronavirus, which has prompted flight suspensions to both Asia and Europe, may significantly reduce those plans.
Featured image by JT Genter/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees