This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Yes, you read that right. American Airlines is convinced its Flagship First burger is so good that it stands a chance against more than 30 other New York favorites from Emily, Parm, Pig Beach, Shake Shack, Five Napkin Burger and more.
The airline put its burger on display at this weekend’s Burger Bash as part of the New York City Wine and Food Festival; we were in attendance as a guest of Capital One.
The burger is a single-grind sirloin patty on a brioche bun, topped with aged cheddar, red onions, arugula, beefsteak tomatoes — oh, and a bacon marmalade. You can find it at Flagship First lounges at JFK, LAX and MIA. Multiple TPG staffers have had it (including yours truly) and truth be told, it’s actually really good. The verdict from the crowd? They liked it — sometimes even more than some of the more buzzy names.
Craig Messmer, an attendee at the event, told CNBC that it was his favorite because “others had a lot of condiments that were too over the top.”
Even celebrity chef Andrew Zimmern called the burger’s entry into the competition “smart,” even though it eventually lost to… drum roll please: the New York Mets.
My personal favorite pick? The Emily burger. Sorry, American — I’m taking the upgrade on this one.
Featured photo by Ames Lai/Flickr
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards