American Airlines Thinks It Serves the Best Burger in New York
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Yes, you read that right. American Airlines is convinced its Flagship First burger is so good that it stands a chance against more than 30 other New York favorites from Emily, Parm, Pig Beach, Shake Shack, Five Napkin Burger and more.
The airline put its burger on display at this weekend’s Burger Bash as part of the New York City Wine and Food Festival; we were in attendance as a guest of Capital One.
The burger is a single-grind sirloin patty on a brioche bun, topped with aged cheddar, red onions, arugula, beefsteak tomatoes — oh, and a bacon marmalade. You can find it at Flagship First lounges at JFK, LAX and MIA. Multiple TPG staffers have had it (including yours truly) and truth be told, it’s actually really good. The verdict from the crowd? They liked it — sometimes even more than some of the more buzzy names.
Craig Messmer, an attendee at the event, told CNBC that it was his favorite because “others had a lot of condiments that were too over the top.”
Even celebrity chef Andrew Zimmern called the burger’s entry into the competition “smart,” even though it eventually lost to… drum roll please: the New York Mets.
My personal favorite pick? The Emily burger. Sorry, American — I’m taking the upgrade on this one.
Featured photo by Ames Lai/Flickr
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees