Earn bonus American Airlines miles for shopping with the SimplyMiles program
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information.
Frequent flyers have more than one way to earn American Airlines miles for everyday purchases. One of them is AA’s SimplyMiles portal, which bears some similarities to Amex Offers and Chase Offers. But with the SimplyMiles program, you earn miles even as you spend them.
The portal is simple to use. You register, using your AAdvantage account number, and enter your credit card number. Then you’ll be taken to a page where you’ll see various shopping and dining offers to add to your account. Only U.S. residents are eligible, and you must use an American Airlines credit card (although AA says they’ll add more card options in the future).
Related reading: Choosing the best credit card for American Airlines flyers
Once you hit “Add to Card” to activate an offer and make an eligible purchase, you’ll earn AAdvantage bonus miles in addition to the miles you have earned from your credit card.
Immediately after registering, I was presented with 30 offers from retailers such as Dyson, Olive Garden, Bare Minerals and more.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
AAdvantage miles are worth 1.4 cents each, according to TPG’s most recent valuations. However, you should carefully consider whether it makes sense to make a purchase with an American Airlines card if the purchase is in a category that earns a bonus with other cards, such as restaurants or gas stations.
Related reading: Ultimate guide to the best cards for each bonus category
If you’re looking to add an American Airlines card to your wallet, both Citi and Barclays offer cobranded cards:
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®: Earn 65,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $4,000 in purchases within the first four months of account opening.
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®: Earn 50,000 American Airlines miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
- American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card: Earn 10,000 American Airlines miles and a $50 statement credit after you spend $500 on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®: Earn 50,000 bonus miles after spending $2,500 on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Red World Elite Mastercard®: Earn 60,000 American Airlines miles after you make your first purchase and pay the $99 annual fee in the first 90 days of account opening.
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Business Mastercard®: Earn up to 75,000 American Airlines miles: Earn 65,000 miles after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days of account opening. Earn 10,000 miles when a purchase is made on an employee card.
The information for the CitiBusiness Platinum card, Citi AAdvantage Platinum card, Aviator Red, Aviator Business Mastercard has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Additional reporting by Benét J. Wilson
Featured photo courtesy of Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees