American to offer 4 daily flights to London Heathrow’s Terminal 5
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines will once again offer daily service from several of its U.S. hubs to London Heathrow, as we reported earlier this month, joining its Oneworld partner British Airways with flights from Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Miami and New York in July. Friday, however, American announced a terminal shift, making it easier for travelers to connect.
While some of these routes already have passenger service on American, they’ll all operate with a daily schedule in July, with all four flights shifting to Heathrow’s Terminal 5, the same terminal serving British Airways and Iberia flights, enabling easier connections with AA’s Oneworld partners.
Flights from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Miami (MIA) and New York (JFK) will be operated by American’s largest airliner, the Boeing 777-300ER, which offers a dedicated first-class cabin, while the Chicago (ORD) flight will be operated by a smaller Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner.
Notably, American Airlines has long intended to shift its operations to LHR’s Terminal 5, though, as of now, this move is considered temporary. In addition to improving connections to British Airways and Iberia, the shift will also make it possible for AA passengers to access BA lounges, two of which are opening tomorrow, July 4.
Note that while Americans can travel to the United Kingdom, a 14-day quarantine is required upon arrival. Additionally, it’s not yet possible to visit other destinations in Europe, aside from Ireland. For now, those easier Oneworld connections will really only come in handy for non-U.S. residents.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.