American to offer 4 daily flights to London Heathrow’s Terminal 5
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines will once again offer daily service from several of its U.S. hubs to London Heathrow, as we reported earlier this month, joining its Oneworld partner British Airways with flights from Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Miami and New York in July. Friday, however, American announced a terminal shift, making it easier for travelers to connect.
While some of these routes already have passenger service on American, they’ll all operate with a daily schedule in July, with all four flights shifting to Heathrow’s Terminal 5, the same terminal serving British Airways and Iberia flights, enabling easier connections with AA’s Oneworld partners.
Flights from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Miami (MIA) and New York (JFK) will be operated by American’s largest airliner, the Boeing 777-300ER, which offers a dedicated first-class cabin, while the Chicago (ORD) flight will be operated by a smaller Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner.
Notably, American Airlines has long intended to shift its operations to LHR’s Terminal 5, though, as of now, this move is considered temporary. In addition to improving connections to British Airways and Iberia, the shift will also make it possible for AA passengers to access BA lounges, two of which are opening tomorrow, July 4.
Note that while Americans can travel to the United Kingdom, a 14-day quarantine is required upon arrival. Additionally, it’s not yet possible to visit other destinations in Europe, aside from Ireland. For now, those easier Oneworld connections will really only come in handy for non-U.S. residents.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees