These are the long-haul international routes AA, Delta, Hawaiian and United plan to fly in July
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Long-haul international routes continue to creep back onto the maps of American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Hawaiian Airlines and United Airlines in July even as U.S. coronavirus cases surge anew.
Hawaiian, which had planned to resume long-haul international flying on July 25, has postponed its return to at least Aug. 15. On that day, it plans to resume flights to Japan, South Korea and Tahiti, with Australia and New Zealand services possibly taking off again on Sept. 30.
Airlines’ plans to resume international flying are tenuous at best. Many countries maintain border restrictions to slow the spread of COVID-19. The EU, for example, has barred most American travelers from entering the 27-member country bloc beginning July 1.
On June 25, Delta president Glen Hauenstein told staff that the airline is unlikely to resume flights to leisure destinations like Athens (ATH) and Lisbon (LIS) if the EU ban goes into effect.
American spokesperson Nichelle Tait told TPG that there are no planned changes to the airline’s European flying due to the ban yet.
Below are the long-haul international routes planned by U.S. airlines for July.
- Chicago O’Hare (ORD) – London Heathrow (LHR)
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) – Amsterdam (AMS), Dublin (DUB), Frankfurt (FRA), Hong Kong (HKG), London Heathrow, Madrid (MAD), Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG), Seoul Incheon (ICN), Tokyo Haneda (HND) and Tokyo Narita (NRT)
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Tokyo Haneda
- Miami (MIA) – London Heathrow
- New York John F. Kennedy (JFK) – London Heathrow
Routes are confirmed as of June 29.
- Atlanta (ATL) – Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London Heathrow, Paris Charles de Gaulle and Seoul Incheon
- Boston (BOS) – Amsterdam
- Detroit (DTW) – Amsterdam, London Heathrow, Paris Charles de Gaulle, Seoul Incheon and Tokyo Haneda
- Los Angeles – Sydney (SYD)
- New York JFK – Amsterdam, Athens, Lisbon, Paris Charles de Gaulle and Tel Aviv (TLV)
- Seattle-Tacoma (SEA) – Amsterdam, Seoul Incheon and Tokyo Haneda (HND)
- Seoul Incheon – Shanghai Pudong (PVG)
Routes are confirmed as of June 30.
Hawaiian plans to resume flights between Honolulu (HNL) and destinations in Japan, South Korea and Tahiti (PPT) on Aug. 15.
- Chicago O’Hare – London Heathrow and Tokyo Haneda
- Hong Kong – Singapore (SIN)
- Houston Intercontinental (IAH) – São Paulo Guarulhos (GRU)
- Newark – Amsterdam, Delhi (DEL), Dublin, Frankfurt, London Heathrow, Paris Charles de Gaulle, Tel Aviv and Tokyo Narita
- San Francisco – Delhi, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Seoul Incheon, Sydney (SYD), Tel Aviv and Tokyo Narita
- Seoul Incheon – Shanghai Pudong
- Washington Dulles (IAD) – Brussels (BRU), Frankfurt, London Heathrow, Munich (MUC) and Zurich (ZRH)
Routes are confirmed as of June 29. The resumption of Delhi flights are subject to regulatory approval.
Updated with Hawaiian’s decision to delay the resumption of long-haul international routes until August.
Feature image by Alberto Riva/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees