American Airlines Operates First Ever Flight With All LGBTQ+ Crew Members
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines made history this past week operating the first ever flight to feature an entire crew who openly identify as LGBTQ+. The historic flight took off on the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Inn raids, which are considered one of the first major events of the gay rights and liberation movement in the US.
The flight departed Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) for New York-LaGuardia (LGA) and was operated with an Embraer E-190. The crew of two pilots and two flight attendants was joined by two drag queens sporting red and blue outfits, two of American Airlines’ main colors.
Prior to the flight, the crew posed for photos next to the aircraft proudly displaying the rainbow flag. In a short video posted to Twitter, one of the pilots can be seen waving the flag from the flight deck prior to departure.
A handful of major domestic airlines, including American Airlines, are regularly ranked among the top companies for LGBTQ+ individuals. And while American Airlines was the only airline to operate a flight with an all openly LGBTQ+ crew this month, the airline is not alone in celebrating Pride Month. Airlines including United, Delta, Hawaiian, JetBlue, and Southwest have all taken to social media to show their support for LGBTQ+ crew members.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter
Featured image courtesy of American Airlines
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.