American Airlines Operates First Ever Flight With All LGBTQ+ Crew Members
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines made history this past week operating the first ever flight to feature an entire crew who openly identify as LGBTQ+. The historic flight took off on the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Inn raids, which are considered one of the first major events of the gay rights and liberation movement in the US.
The flight departed Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) for New York-LaGuardia (LGA) and was operated with an Embraer E-190. The crew of two pilots and two flight attendants was joined by two drag queens sporting red and blue outfits, two of American Airlines’ main colors.
Prior to the flight, the crew posed for photos next to the aircraft proudly displaying the rainbow flag. In a short video posted to Twitter, one of the pilots can be seen waving the flag from the flight deck prior to departure.
A handful of major domestic airlines, including American Airlines, are regularly ranked among the top companies for LGBTQ+ individuals. And while American Airlines was the only airline to operate a flight with an all openly LGBTQ+ crew this month, the airline is not alone in celebrating Pride Month. Airlines including United, Delta, Hawaiian, JetBlue, and Southwest have all taken to social media to show their support for LGBTQ+ crew members.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter
Featured image courtesy of American Airlines
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees