American Airlines closing Tokyo Admirals Club with shift to Haneda
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines will close its premium lounge at Tokyo Narita International Airport in March as it moves the majority of its flights to the Japanese capital to the close-in Haneda International Airport.
The Admirals Club at Narita (NRT) will close in late March with no new lounge planned at Haneda (HND), American said in an employee newsletter on Friday. First- and business-class passengers, elite frequent fliers with Oneworld Emerald and Sapphire status, and Admirals Club members will have access to Japan Airlines’ Sakura lounges at both airports.
American will continue to employ Premium Guest Services staff to serve customers in Tokyo, the airline said.
American will offer three daily flights to Haneda beginning in March. The Oneworld Alliance carrier will launch a daily service to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), and a second daily service to Los Angeles (LAX) on March 29.
At the same time, American will reduce its operation at Narita to just one flight a day from DFW. The Admirals Club closure is a result of this reduced schedule, the airline said.
Delta Air Lines, Hawaiian Airlines and United Airlines will also add service to Haneda in March. Delta’s expanded schedule includes daily flights to Atlanta (ATL), Detroit (DTW), Honolulu (HNL), Portland (PDX) in Oregon, and Seattle (SEA) that begin on March 28. The airline will end service to Narita the same day, but plans to open a new 9,000 square foot Sky Club at Haneda to serve premium passengers.
Hawaiian will add an additional flight between Haneda and Honolulu, and United new service to Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Los Angeles, Newark (EWR) and Washington Dulles (IAD). The latter will end service between Narita and both Chicago and Washington with the new flights.
American and JAL have a joint venture which allows them to operate as essentially a single carrier between Japan and the U.S.
Featured image by Katie Genter/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees