Check your American Airlines accounts: 2021 rollover elite miles, dollars and segments now posting
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re an American Airlines frequent flyer, you may now have more elite miles, dollars and segments in your account.
In addition to reducing elite status requirements for the 2021 calendar year, American also announced it was rolling overall qualifying flight activity flown between Oct. 1 and Dec. 31, 2020.
That means AA flyers received three extra months to earn status. And here’s the good news: Those flights have started to post into AAdvantage accounts today.
For more TPG news, deals and points and miles tips delivered each morning to your inbox, subscribe to our daily newsletter.
Sure enough, when I check my AAdvantage account for the 2021 status year, it reflects two flights that I took in November 2020.
While $314 elite-qualifying dollars (EQDs), 3,679 elite-qualifying miles (EQMs) and 1.5 elite-qualifying segments (EQSs) isn’t much, it’s good to see something occupying these otherwise-empty bars.
Unlike Delta, American doesn’t typically roll over any elite-qualifying criteria from one year to the next. In fact, Delta is rolling over all Medallion Qualifying Miles (MQMs) from 2020 (but notably, no Medallion Qualifying Dollars).
American’s pandemic-era rollover decision was made to give AAdvantage members 15 months to earn status at the reduced levels announced late last year.
Here’s a look at the reduced elite qualifying criteria for 2021, approximately 30% less than what was required compared to 2019 before the pandemic:
|Metric||Gold||Platinum||Platinum Pro||Executive Platinum|
|Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM)||20,000||40,000||60,000||80,000|
|Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS)||20||45||70||95|
|Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)||$2,000||$4,500||$7,000||$12,000|
Instead of hitting the EQD requirement up to the Platinum Pro status level, American also rolled out a new option. By spending $30,000 in the calendar year on a cobranded AAdvantage credit card — such as the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® — you can bypass the required EQDs.
Select AAdvantage cards also give you EQMs, so this is potentially a lucrative double-dip opportunity in 2021.
In December, we also found out the details on American’s revamped elite perks, including new options for rewards. If you hit the 2021 thresholds outlined above, you’ll be able to enjoy these new benefits. And the good news is that your headstart from the last three months of 2020 is now posting in AAdvantage accounts.
Featured photo by Chris Dong / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees