This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Online retail giant Amazon will be lowering prices and introducing more perks for Amazon Prime members at Whole Foods grocery stores starting Wednesday.
Whole Foods said in announcing the change that prices “will be reduced by an average of 20 percent on select items throughout the store.” More than 500 products, mostly produce and meat, will see a price cut.
This is the third price cut Amazon has announced for the grocery store since Amazon acquired it in August 2017.
Last June, Amazon started offering exclusive discounts at Whole Foods for Prime members, giving customers who are a part of Amazon’s membership program an extra 10% off items that are already on sale. It now says it will double the number of items that receive this discount, with the savings being even deeper in some cases.
Examples of Prime deals in April that will rotate on a weekly basis include:
- Organic asparagus: $2.99/lb, save $2
- Organic strawberries: $2.99/lb, save $2
- Sumo Citrus: $2.49/lb, save $1.50
- Air-chilled, no-antibiotics-ever whole chicken: $1.79/lb, save at least 40%
- Spiral sliced ham: $3.99/lb, save at least 33%
- Animal welfare-rated, bone in pork loin chops: $4.99/lb, save at least $2
- Fresh, sustainable wild-caught halibut fillet: $16.99/lb, save at least 35%
- 35% off all Justin’s brand products
- $20 off Vega One Organic Shakes (24.3-26.9 oz. sizes only)
- 40% off all Kite Hill plant-based products
- 35% off all Epic brand products
- Prepared sandwiches and wraps: 20% off
However, Amazon recently raised the price of Prime membership from $99 per year to $119, so it’s nice to see the program improve its perks, which includes access to free two-day shipping and premium video streaming, to compensate for the price increase.
If you’re not yet a Prime member but want to sign up, you can save $10 off a $20 purchase at Whole Foods and try out a Prime membership for 30 days if you enroll by the end of April.
Those who don’t have a Whole Foods in their area can still use Amazon Fresh for grocery delivery. Amazon is currently offering select American Express cardholders $30 off their first delivery, reports Points, Miles and Martinis.
Using a credit card such as the Chase Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card at Whole Foods or Amazon will get you 5% back on all purchases at either store. If you want to maximize shopping at Whole Foods specifically, you’ll earn 4x Membership Rewards points when using the American Express® Gold Card, which nets out to an 8% return according to TPG’s valuations.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by John Leyba/The Denver Post via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees