Amazon Lowers Prices at Whole Foods Again, Expands Savings for Prime Members
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Online retail giant Amazon will be lowering prices and introducing more perks for Amazon Prime members at Whole Foods grocery stores starting Wednesday.
Whole Foods said in announcing the change that prices “will be reduced by an average of 20 percent on select items throughout the store.” More than 500 products, mostly produce and meat, will see a price cut.
This is the third price cut Amazon has announced for the grocery store since Amazon acquired it in August 2017.
Last June, Amazon started offering exclusive discounts at Whole Foods for Prime members, giving customers who are a part of Amazon’s membership program an extra 10% off items that are already on sale. It now says it will double the number of items that receive this discount, with the savings being even deeper in some cases.
Examples of Prime deals in April that will rotate on a weekly basis include:
- Organic asparagus: $2.99/lb, save $2
- Organic strawberries: $2.99/lb, save $2
- Sumo Citrus: $2.49/lb, save $1.50
- Air-chilled, no-antibiotics-ever whole chicken: $1.79/lb, save at least 40%
- Spiral sliced ham: $3.99/lb, save at least 33%
- Animal welfare-rated, bone in pork loin chops: $4.99/lb, save at least $2
- Fresh, sustainable wild-caught halibut fillet: $16.99/lb, save at least 35%
- 35% off all Justin’s brand products
- $20 off Vega One Organic Shakes (24.3-26.9 oz. sizes only)
- 40% off all Kite Hill plant-based products
- 35% off all Epic brand products
- Prepared sandwiches and wraps: 20% off
However, Amazon recently raised the price of Prime membership from $99 per year to $119, so it’s nice to see the program improve its perks, which includes access to free two-day shipping and premium video streaming, to compensate for the price increase.
If you’re not yet a Prime member but want to sign up, you can save $10 off a $20 purchase at Whole Foods and try out a Prime membership for 30 days if you enroll by the end of April.
Those who don’t have a Whole Foods in their area can still use Amazon Fresh for grocery delivery. Amazon is currently offering select American Express cardholders $30 off their first delivery, reports Points, Miles and Martinis.
Using a credit card such as the Chase Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card at Whole Foods or Amazon will get you 5% back on all purchases at either store. If you want to maximize shopping at Whole Foods specifically, you’ll earn 4x Membership Rewards points when using the American Express® Gold Card, which nets out to an 8% return according to TPG’s valuations.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by John Leyba/The Denver Post via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.