Ordering from Amazon? You could earn 5x bonus points on your next purchase
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Everything from toothpaste to dog food to the occasional princess dress-up costume arrives at our doorstep in a brown box thanks to Amazon. This was true pre-pandemic, but it’s extra true now.
Since we are going to spend money with Amazon either way, I get extra excited when there are ways to save money or earn bonus points on those purchases. There’s a new Amex Offer that allows you to earn 5x bonus Amex Membership Rewards points on your Amazon purchases.
If you value your Membership Rewards points as TPG does at 2 cents per point, that is the same as getting a 10% award rebate on your Amazon purchases.
Sign up for the free daily TPG newsletter for more travel news and tips.
Earn 5x bonus points on Amazon orders
The new Amex Offer that awards 5x bonus points on Amazon.com orders is targeted to select Membership Rewards earning card accounts. Based on some unscientific polling of TPG staffers, the offer seems widely targeted to various American Express accounts.
Related: Guide to using Amex Offers
Cardholders who are targeted and add the offer to their Amex account will earn five bonus points per dollar spent at Amazon by Nov. 13, 2020. The offer is capped at an additional 2,000 Membership Rewards points, which would mean you’ll earn the extra 5x points on up to $400 spent at Amazon on your enrolled card by Nov. 13. This is pretty handy timing as the 5x points available at Amazon via the Chase Freedom for that card’s third-quarter bonus category is winding down this week.
As long as the order codes as an Amazon purchase on your statement, it shouldn’t matter what you’re buying.
Just keep in mind that the terms indicate some Amazon businesses are not included in the offer. These include Amazon Go, Amazon Local, Amazon Mechanical Turk, Amazon Web Services, Amazon Home & Business Services, Amazon Currency Converter, Home Services, Prime Photos, Amazon Inspire, Amazon Video Direct, Amazon business, Amazon Global, or Amazon Drive.
While we generally recommend using these cards for Amazon purchases, that equation changes in the face of these promotions. If you can rack up 5x bonus points on your next Amazon order, you’re probably doing pretty well on the earnings side of the coin while stocking up on what you need from the safety of your home.
Featured image courtesy of Leon Neal/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.