Ordering from Amazon? You could earn 5x bonus points on your next purchase
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Everything from toothpaste to dog food to the occasional princess dress-up costume arrives at our doorstep in a brown box thanks to Amazon. This was true pre-pandemic, but it’s extra true now.
Since we are going to spend money with Amazon either way, I get extra excited when there are ways to save money or earn bonus points on those purchases. There’s a new Amex Offer that allows you to earn 5x bonus Amex Membership Rewards points on your Amazon purchases.
If you value your Membership Rewards points as TPG does at 2 cents per point, that is the same as getting a 10% award rebate on your Amazon purchases.
Sign up for the free daily TPG newsletter for more travel news and tips.
Earn 5x bonus points on Amazon orders
The new Amex Offer that awards 5x bonus points on Amazon.com orders is targeted to select Membership Rewards earning card accounts. Based on some unscientific polling of TPG staffers, the offer seems widely targeted to various American Express accounts.
Related: Guide to using Amex Offers
Cardholders who are targeted and add the offer to their Amex account will earn five bonus points per dollar spent at Amazon by Nov. 13, 2020. The offer is capped at an additional 2,000 Membership Rewards points, which would mean you’ll earn the extra 5x points on up to $400 spent at Amazon on your enrolled card by Nov. 13. This is pretty handy timing as the 5x points available at Amazon via the Chase Freedom for that card’s third-quarter bonus category is winding down this week.
As long as the order codes as an Amazon purchase on your statement, it shouldn’t matter what you’re buying.
Just keep in mind that the terms indicate some Amazon businesses are not included in the offer. These include Amazon Go, Amazon Local, Amazon Mechanical Turk, Amazon Web Services, Amazon Home & Business Services, Amazon Currency Converter, Home Services, Prime Photos, Amazon Inspire, Amazon Video Direct, Amazon business, Amazon Global, or Amazon Drive.
While we generally recommend using these cards for Amazon purchases, that equation changes in the face of these promotions. If you can rack up 5x bonus points on your next Amazon order, you’re probably doing pretty well on the earnings side of the coin while stocking up on what you need from the safety of your home.
Featured image courtesy of Leon Neal/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees