Alitalia Releases New Ad Featuring Actor in Blackface Portraying President Obama
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
SkyTeam Alliance carrier Alitalia dropped a new ad earlier this week for its recently returned Rome-to-Washington DC flights featuring a white actor in blackface portraying President Obama.
Titled “Where is Washington Mr. Obama?”, the video was uploaded to the airline’s official YouTube channel. TPG Managing Editor Alberto Riva, who captured the screenshot above, said in a tweet that the video also featured people saying President Obama was “born in Africa.”
— Alberto Riva (@Albertoriva) July 3, 2019
The video quickly generated backlash for the racist nature of its content and has been pulled down as of Wednesday afternoon. Alitalia did not return TPG‘s request for comment, but issued the following tweet in the aftermath saying it “deeply apologizes for the offense” and that the company will “learn from what has happened”:
Alitalia, which has recently been in talks to join forces with Delta Air Lines and Air France-KLM, launched the new route from Rome to DC in May, returning to the US capital after a nearly 15-year hiatus.
This post has been updated to include an apology tweeted by Alitalia.
Featured image by GABRIEL BOUYS / Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.