Alitalia Releases New Ad Featuring Actor in Blackface Portraying President Obama
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
SkyTeam Alliance carrier Alitalia dropped a new ad earlier this week for its recently returned Rome-to-Washington DC flights featuring a white actor in blackface portraying President Obama.
Titled “Where is Washington Mr. Obama?”, the video was uploaded to the airline’s official YouTube channel. TPG Managing Editor Alberto Riva, who captured the screenshot above, said in a tweet that the video also featured people saying President Obama was “born in Africa.”
— Alberto Riva (@Albertoriva) July 3, 2019
The video quickly generated backlash for the racist nature of its content and has been pulled down as of Wednesday afternoon. Alitalia did not return TPG‘s request for comment, but issued the following tweet in the aftermath saying it “deeply apologizes for the offense” and that the company will “learn from what has happened”:
Alitalia, which has recently been in talks to join forces with Delta Air Lines and Air France-KLM, launched the new route from Rome to DC in May, returning to the US capital after a nearly 15-year hiatus.
This post has been updated to include an apology tweeted by Alitalia.
Featured image by GABRIEL BOUYS / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.