This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines is making some customer-friendly changes to its same-day change policy — but only for some of its elite members. Now, Mileage Plan members with MVP Gold or MVP Gold 75K status can change their reservation beginning at check-in.
Previously, all Alaska flyers could not change their flights until six hours before the new flight, and for redeye flights (between 12:00am and 3:59am), you could only rebook on a new flight as early as 10:00pm. MVP Gold and Gold 75K members previously could request changes at 10:00pm the night before the day of departure, and for any flight departing on the same day.
Travel Codex reports that on a recent flight, the policy had changed for Gold and Gold 75K members. Effective immediately, you can change your flights 24 hours before departure — the same timeframe as check-in.
Note that this change is only for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K members, and does not apply to general Alaska flyers or MVP members. Alaska confirmed the change to Travel Codex, though it’s not yet reflected on the Alaska Airlines site.
Keep in mind that some travelers will be charged a $25 fee for same-day changes, but those booked in F, D, A class (first) or Y, Z (coach) are exempt from the fee.
The change, albeit long overdue, puts Alaska’s same-day change policy for some elites on par with those offered by other major carriers.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards