Alaska Improves Same-Day Change Policy for Some Elites
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines is making some customer-friendly changes to its same-day change policy — but only for some of its elite members. Now, Mileage Plan members with MVP Gold or MVP Gold 75K status can change their reservation beginning at check-in.
Previously, all Alaska flyers could not change their flights until six hours before the new flight, and for redeye flights (between 12:00am and 3:59am), you could only rebook on a new flight as early as 10:00pm. MVP Gold and Gold 75K members previously could request changes at 10:00pm the night before the day of departure, and for any flight departing on the same day.
Travel Codex reports that on a recent flight, the policy had changed for Gold and Gold 75K members. Effective immediately, you can change your flights 24 hours before departure — the same timeframe as check-in.
Note that this change is only for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K members, and does not apply to general Alaska flyers or MVP members. Alaska confirmed the change to Travel Codex, though it’s not yet reflected on the Alaska Airlines site.
Keep in mind that some travelers will be charged a $25 fee for same-day changes, but those booked in F, D, A class (first) or Y, Z (coach) are exempt from the fee.
The change, albeit long overdue, puts Alaska’s same-day change policy for some elites on par with those offered by other major carriers.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.