This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines is making some customer-friendly changes to its same-day change policy — but only for some of its elite members. Now, Mileage Plan members with MVP Gold or MVP Gold 75K status can change their reservation beginning at check-in.
Previously, all Alaska flyers could not change their flights until six hours before the new flight, and for redeye flights (between 12:00am and 3:59am), you could only rebook on a new flight as early as 10:00pm. MVP Gold and Gold 75K members previously could request changes at 10:00pm the night before the day of departure, and for any flight departing on the same day.
Travel Codex reports that on a recent flight, the policy had changed for Gold and Gold 75K members. Effective immediately, you can change your flights 24 hours before departure — the same timeframe as check-in.
Note that this change is only for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K members, and does not apply to general Alaska flyers or MVP members. Alaska confirmed the change to Travel Codex, though it’s not yet reflected on the Alaska Airlines site.
Keep in mind that some travelers will be charged a $25 fee for same-day changes, but those booked in F, D, A class (first) or Y, Z (coach) are exempt from the fee.
The change, albeit long overdue, puts Alaska’s same-day change policy for some elites on par with those offered by other major carriers.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees