Alaska Railroad returns to full summer schedule
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After a couple of summers with a reduced schedule because of the pandemic, Alaska Railroad is offering a full schedule of train routes this year, which means there will be more opportunities for travelers to experience the beauty of Alaska in a truly unique way.
Earlier this month, Alaska Railroad began daily trips on a couple of its popular Coastal Classic route with service between Anchorage and Seward, and on its flagship Denali Star Train, a 12-hour trip between Anchorage and Fairbanks.
For more TPG travel news and tips delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
Around for the better part of the century, Alaska Railroad gives travelers arriving by both plane and cruise ship a way to get from one part of the 49th state to another, but to also take in Alaska’s incredible sights along the way.
While the railroad continued to operate in 2020 and 2021, reduced ridership during the pandemic forced leadership to trim the schedule, cutting back routes to only certain days in some cases and shortening the summer season overall.
Now with both air and cruise travel surging, it appears things are on track for a much busier summer 2022 schedule.
The Alaska Railroad began service on its Coastal Classic Train route on May 7. It travels along the Turnagain Arm, a spectacular stretch with views of the Chugach mountains.
Each day, the train departs Anchorage at 6:45 a.m., making a quick 8:00 a.m. stop in Girdwood. About three hours later, the train arrives in the Alaskan port city of Seward. The train returns to Anchorage via Girdwood each evening, departing Seward at 6:00 p.m.
The season runs until Sept. 18. For the majority of the summer, a round trip on the full Anchorage to Seward route starts at $232, but $462 will get you a ticket in the railroad’s Goldstar class, which gives you the best service on board and the best views of the Alaskan landscape, including open-air viewing platform access.
Meanwhile, the iconic Denali Star Train, which brings travelers past Denali National Park en route to Fairbanks is a 12-hour, 365-mile journey if you’re taking the train the whole way between Anchorage and Fairbanks. Brief stops along the way include Wasilla, Talkeetna and Denali.
There’s a northbound and southbound train each day, with departures in both directions at 8:20 a.m. Service started May 11 and also runs until Sept. 18. A round trip ticket for on the full route this summer starts at $518, or it’s $946 for the Goldstar service.
Those are just a sample of two of the railroad’s most popular routes; it has others like its Glacier Discovery and Hurricane Turn Summer Trains. If you’re planning a trip to Alaska, this could be a fun and convenient way to discover the state’s beauty.
Featured photo by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees