Alaska Airlines announces Oneworld perks for elite members
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines is forging ahead with its plans to join the Oneworld frequent flyer alliance.
Specifically, in line with expectations for a three-tiered elite-status model, Mileage Plan status will map to the three Oneworld tiers as follows:
- MVP = Oneworld Ruby
- MVP Gold = Oneworld Sapphire
- MVP Gold 75K = Oneworld Emerald
Stay up-to-date on airline and aviation news by signing up for our brand-new aviation newsletter.
As a Oneworld elite, Alaska flyers will enjoy a subset of their traditional perks when flying on one of the other 13 member airlines.
While elites won’t be eligible for alliance-wide upgrades (though Oneworld upgrades with miles are coming), they will enjoy a host of day-of-departure perks. Ruby status includes access to business-class check-in, priority seating and priority waitlists and standby.
Sapphire status unlocks business-class lounges, as well as additional baggage allowances, priority handling and more. Finally, Emerald, Oneworld’s highest tier, includes a TPG-favorite: access to first-class check-in and lounges, even when flying in the back in the plane.
As such, Alaska MVP Gold 75K members will enjoy complimentary access to top-notch lounges, like Cathay Pacific’s The Pier and Qantas’ First lounge in Singapore, even when flying in coach on those airlines.
The Oneworld perks, which will take effect when Alaska officially becomes a member on March 31, 2021, are valid on all member airlines. However, Alaska and American Airlines have already unveiled an even deeper integration of their elite status perks.
Once the partnership launches, Alaska’s top-tier MVP Gold 75K members will have access to international long-haul upgrades on AA – though specific details of how that will work have not yet been revealed. Additionally, MVP Gold 75K and Gold members will enjoy complimentary extra-legroom Main Cabin Extra seats for free at the time of booking. (All Alaska elites will be eligible for complimentary Preferred seats positioned at favorable locations within the cabin.)
Thursday’s announcement is the latest move from the Seattle-based carrier in its push to join Oneworld. Earlier this week, the carrier teamed up with Qatar, another Oneworld member, to lay the groundwork for a codeshare partnership.
The two carriers are launching reciprocal mileage earning beginning Dec. 15, though redemptions won’t become available until March 31. As part of the news, Qatar announced that it’ll start flying to Alaska’s largest hub in Seattle.
Featured photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.