Alaska Airlines announces Oneworld perks for elite members
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines is forging ahead with its plans to join the Oneworld frequent flyer alliance.
Specifically, in line with expectations for a three-tiered elite-status model, Mileage Plan status will map to the three Oneworld tiers as follows:
- MVP = Oneworld Ruby
- MVP Gold = Oneworld Sapphire
- MVP Gold 75K = Oneworld Emerald
Stay up-to-date on airline and aviation news by signing up for our brand-new aviation newsletter.
As a Oneworld elite, Alaska flyers will enjoy a subset of their traditional perks when flying on one of the other 13 member airlines.
While elites won’t be eligible for alliance-wide upgrades (though Oneworld upgrades with miles are coming), they will enjoy a host of day-of-departure perks. Ruby status includes access to business-class check-in, priority seating and priority waitlists and standby.
Sapphire status unlocks business-class lounges, as well as additional baggage allowances, priority handling and more. Finally, Emerald, Oneworld’s highest tier, includes a TPG-favorite: access to first-class check-in and lounges, even when flying in the back in the plane.
As such, Alaska MVP Gold 75K members will enjoy complimentary access to top-notch lounges, like Cathay Pacific’s The Pier and Qantas’ First lounge in Singapore, even when flying in coach on those airlines.
The Oneworld perks, which will take effect when Alaska officially becomes a member on March 31, 2021, are valid on all member airlines. However, Alaska and American Airlines have already unveiled an even deeper integration of their elite status perks.
Once the partnership launches, Alaska’s top-tier MVP Gold 75K members will have access to international long-haul upgrades on AA – though specific details of how that will work have not yet been revealed. Additionally, MVP Gold 75K and Gold members will enjoy complimentary extra-legroom Main Cabin Extra seats for free at the time of booking. (All Alaska elites will be eligible for complimentary Preferred seats positioned at favorable locations within the cabin.)
Thursday’s announcement is the latest move from the Seattle-based carrier in its push to join Oneworld. Earlier this week, the carrier teamed up with Qatar, another Oneworld member, to lay the groundwork for a codeshare partnership.
The two carriers are launching reciprocal mileage earning beginning Dec. 15, though redemptions won’t become available until March 31. As part of the news, Qatar announced that it’ll start flying to Alaska’s largest hub in Seattle.
Featured photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees