Alaska ends intra-Asia stopovers, devalues Singapore Airlines redemptions within region
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re a fan of Alaska Airlines’ Mileage Plan and use the program for intra-Asia travel, listen up because I have some bad news for you.
On Alaska’s award chart webpage, you’ll now find the following at the bottom of the page when you select flights within Asia: “Stopovers are not available on intra-Asia award redemptions.” This includes Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines and Hainan Airlines.
Before these changes, you could book award flights within Asia with Alaska miles and add a free stopover, including one-way award tickets. There were some restrictions, however, including the inability to combine partners on a single award ticket. It does appear that stopovers for itineraries originating from the U.S. haven’t been affected.
Additionally, as The Shutterwhale reports, Alaska has devalued intra-Asia redemptions on Singapore Airlines without notice.
The airline used to charge 25,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles for a one-way business-class flight between Singapore and China on Singapore Airlines. Now, it will cost 60,000 miles (or 2.4x more) for the same flight.
Alaska has partnered with Singapore since 2017. Just last week, Alaska added the ability to redeem miles on Singapore-operated flights. Amazingly, it even applied to Singapore’s business class and first-class Suites. TPG’s Nick Ewen, at the time, was able to find Singapore business-class availability between Singapore and Hong Kong for just 25,000 miles one-way. TPG staffers were even able to find first-class tickets on some shorter routes, like Singapore (SIN) to Hong Kong (HKG) on the A380 for just 35,000 miles.
Here’s the new award chart for intra-Asia flights on Singapore Airlines booked with Alaska miles:
We’ve reached out to Alaska and will update when we have more information.
Featured photo by Singapore Airlines via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.