Alaska ends intra-Asia stopovers, devalues Singapore Airlines redemptions within region
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re a fan of Alaska Airlines’ Mileage Plan and use the program for intra-Asia travel, listen up because I have some bad news for you.
On Alaska’s award chart webpage, you’ll now find the following at the bottom of the page when you select flights within Asia: “Stopovers are not available on intra-Asia award redemptions.” This includes Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines and Hainan Airlines.
Before these changes, you could book award flights within Asia with Alaska miles and add a free stopover, including one-way award tickets. There were some restrictions, however, including the inability to combine partners on a single award ticket. It does appear that stopovers for itineraries originating from the U.S. haven’t been affected.
Additionally, as The Shutterwhale reports, Alaska has devalued intra-Asia redemptions on Singapore Airlines without notice.
The airline used to charge 25,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles for a one-way business-class flight between Singapore and China on Singapore Airlines. Now, it will cost 60,000 miles (or 2.4x more) for the same flight.
Alaska has partnered with Singapore since 2017. Just last week, Alaska added the ability to redeem miles on Singapore-operated flights. Amazingly, it even applied to Singapore’s business class and first-class Suites. TPG’s Nick Ewen, at the time, was able to find Singapore business-class availability between Singapore and Hong Kong for just 25,000 miles one-way. TPG staffers were even able to find first-class tickets on some shorter routes, like Singapore (SIN) to Hong Kong (HKG) on the A380 for just 35,000 miles.
Here’s the new award chart for intra-Asia flights on Singapore Airlines booked with Alaska miles:
We’ve reached out to Alaska and will update when we have more information.
Featured photo by Singapore Airlines via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees