This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Alaska Airlines Visa Signature credit card, which comes with a standard sign-up bonus of 30,000 miles after you spend $1,000 within the first 90 days, is offering a 40,000-mile bonus in certain areas of the country when you visit the airline’s homepage.
There are some reports the bonus is a targeted geographic (West Coast) offer, while others indicate the extra 10k in bonus may be available to anyone. Unlike the standard bonus, which calls for a relatively low minimum-spend requirement, you’ll have to spend $2,000 within the first three months of card ownership to earn the 40,000 miles. Based on TPG’s latest point valuations, 40,000 Alaska miles are worth $720. That’s not bad for a card that charges a relatively small $75 annual fee.
The credit card earns 3x miles on spending directly on Alaska Airlines purchases (and 1x on all other purchases), which makes this a valuable card if you frequently or even occasionally use this airline. Although it’s not part of any major alliance, Alaska Airlines partners with 20 carriers, from American Airlines to British Airways to Singapore Airlines to Qantas. Alaska miles are one of TPG’s highest-rated airline currencies thanks to the sweet spots in its award charts, such as Cathay Pacific business class to Asia for 50,000 miles one-way and Qantas first class to Australia for 70,000 miles one-way.
Another big selling point for this card (and why the additional welcome bonus may well be enough to tip some consumers into the yes column) is the generous companion fare Alaska offers — free travel minus taxes and fees starting at $22. The companion fare is offered to cardholders each year on their account anniversary, but in subsequent years (when it’s not tied to spending in the first three months) the companion charge is $99 plus the taxes and fees, making the first year’s fare is even more valuable.
You’ll also receive a couple of other noteworthy perks, including a free checked bag for you and up to six other travelers on the same reservation. You’ll also pay no foreign transaction fee on purchases made outside the US.
H/T: One Mile at A Time
Alaska miles are extremely valuable because you can book awards on partners like Emirates, Icelandair, Korean Air and Japan Airlines. The current bonus of 30,000 miles can book you a roundtrip ticket on Alaska Airlines from Boston to San Diego or New York to Seattle, for example.
- Special Introductory Offer: Buy 1 ticket, get 1 for just the taxes and fees with Alaska's Famous Companion Fare™ Offer.
- Get 30,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 or more within the first 90 days of your account opening.
- Get Alaska's Famous Companion Fare™ every year! Each Year on your account anniversary get a companion fare from $121 ($99 plus taxes and fees from $22). Valid on all Alaska flights booked on alaskaair.com.
- Save with a free checked bag on Alaska flights for you and up to six other guests on the same reservation.
- Earn 3 miles for every $1 spent directly on Alaska Airlines purchases and 1 mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- New - Get exclusive access to discounted redemption levels when you redeem miles for hotel stays at over 400,000 properties using Mileage Plan™ Hotels.
- Earn unlimited miles and travel with no blackout dates and no foreign transaction fees.