Alaska Airlines reveals new airplane livery spotlighting diversity, education
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines revealed its latest livery today, taking a stand for diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
The carrier partnered with its Black Employee Alliance employee resource group to design its “Our Commitment” aircraft, which also bears the logo for the UNCF, the philanthropic organization that provides scholarship assistance for Black students and at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). Alaska Airlines has a longstanding philanthropic relationship with the group.
According to the airline, “[w]e believe education is the great equalizer, with a transformative impact in the lives of young people and a critical component of equity. We partnered with Alaska’s Black Employee Alliance (ABEA), to think about how as an airline, we can do our part to advance the conversation and play a meaningful role in addressing racial equity.”
The right side of the plane reads “education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world,” quoting Nelson Mandela, while the left side reads “the time is always right to do what is right,” a quote from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Along with the livery itself, Alaska said it would donate one million miles annually to support students attending HBCUs for college tours, career development events, and other programs. Alaska makes it possible for customers to donate miles as well. The airline said that since 2017, the airline and passengers have donated a total of 13.4 million miles to that cause alone.
The Boeing 737-900, tail number N492AS, will make its first revenue flight on April 27 as AS 4 from Seattle (SEA) to Washington Reagan National Airport (DCA).
Featured image of “Our Commitment” livery courtesy of Alaska Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees