Alaska Airlines Really, Really Likes Salmon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s an airplane painted like a salmon, carrying 10,000 pounds of salmon, landing from the home of salmon. It’s just another Friday at the Seattle airport — actually, it’s Friday, May 18, when the airline brought in from Alaska the first run of Copper River Salmon. It’s a yearly ritual for aviation geeks in the area, and for seafood lovers.
On Friday, Alaska Air Cargo delivered 32,000 pounds of Wild Copper River salmon to Seattle in the first shipment of the season, using several flights.
Alaska Air Cargo transports more than 170 million pounds of cargo annually—including seafood, mail and freight. Every year, the airline partners with three of largest seafood processors in Alaska to bring the Copper River salmon to Seattle and Anchorage.
Alaska even made sure to send its Boeing 737 with a special salmon-themed livery, a 737-800 model which flies all over the company’s network but was sent on purpose to fly the Cordova to Seattle flight on Friday morning, carrying the fish in frozen packages in its belly holds.
To kick off Copper River salmon season, the airline flew three fish-filled flights on Boeing 737s to the Alaska Air Cargo warehouse at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) Friday. From there, the fish will be delivered to restaurants and grocery stores throughout the Pacific Northwest and across the US.
“Alaska Airlines plays a significant role in supporting the Alaska seafood industry, which is recognized worldwide for its sustainable fishing practices,” said Jason Berry, managing director at Alaska Air Cargo. “Our Cargo employees are working around the clock to ensure we deliver the first catch of the coveted wild Copper River salmon to market, often within 24 hours of being pulled from the water.”
In addition to delivering the first catch of the season, Alaska Airlines hosted the ninth annual Copper Chef Cook-off Friday at SEA. Three of Seattle’s top chefs competed for the best salmon recipe in the annual Copper Chef Cook-off featuring a 45-pound king salmon as catch of the day.
All images by Alaska Air.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees