Fines for refusing to wear a mask on a plane will double, Biden says
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The federal government will double the fines charged against passengers who refuse to wear face masks on board aircraft, President Joseph Biden said on Thursday.
Financial penalties, which will be issued by the Transportation Security Administration — the agency that sets the mask mandate — will range from $500 for first-time offenses to $3,000 for repeat offenders, the TSA said, effective Friday, September 10.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
The federal mask mandate, which the TSA sets, is in effect until at least Jan. 18.
The TSA-issued fines for refusing to wear a mask are separate from the fines that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has charged against unruly passengers in recent months, which have ranged as high as $52,500 per incident. Nearly 4,200 incidents have been reported to the FAA so far in 2021, more than twice the amount of any other year.
The new fines were announced by Biden as part of a broader plan to try and stem the spread of COVID-19 in the U.S.
Biden also called for the Department of Labor to issue a rule mandating that companies with over 100 employees require workers to either be vaccinated, or to undergo weekly testing for the virus.
Other steps announced as part of Biden’s plan included providing rapid home testing to Americans at reduced prices, and mandating that all federal employees and contractors get vaccinated.
Featured image by David Slotnick/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees