Airlines Issue Waivers Ahead of Sunday Storm
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A massive winter storm is predicted to have a significant impact on travel throughout the Midwest amidst the hustle and bustle of post-Thanksgiving travel. Winter Storm Bruce is expected to bring heavy snow and sleet from the Rockies to the Upper Midwest beginning Saturday night. The National Weather Service anticipates “dangerous travel” conditions for the hardest hit areas. While those taking to the roads might come across traffic jams and slick road conditions, air travel will not be spared. Widespread delays are expected across the Midwest and Plains states.
Major airlines have issued travel waivers ahead of the winter storm. A list of airlines and the destinations included in each airline’s waivers can be found below:
- American Airlines (Traveling on Nov. 24 – 25): Waterloo, Iowa (ALO), Appleton, Wisconsin (ATW), Cedar Rapids, Iowa (CID), Columbia, Missouri (COU), Dubuque, Iowa (DBQ), Des Moines, Iowa (DSM), Green Bay, Wisconsin (GRB), Kansas City, Missouri (MCI), Milwaukee, Wisconsin (MKE), Moline, Illinois (MLI), Madison, Wisconsin (MSN), Chicago, Illinois (ORD), Peoria, Illinois (PIA)
- Delta Air Lines (Traveling on Nov. 25 – 26): Bloomington, IL (BMI), Cedar Rapids, IA (CID), Chicago-O’Hare (ORD), Chicago-Midway (MDW), Des Moines, IA (DSM), Kansas City, MO (MCI), Lincoln, NE (LNK), Milwaukee, WI (MKE), Moline, IL (MLI), Madison, WI (MSN), Omaha, NE (OMA), Peoria, IL (PIA)
- Southwest Airlines (Traveling on Nov. 24 – 26): Chicago (MDW), Des Moines (DSM), Kansas City (MCI), Milwaukee (MKE), Omaha (OMA), Wichita (ICT)
- United Airlines (Traveling on Nov. 24 – 26): Appleton, WI (ATW), Cedar Rapids, IA (CID), Columbia, MO (COU), Chicago-O’Hare, IL (ORD), Des Moines, IA (DSM), Green Bay, WI (GRB), Hays, KS (HYS), Kearney, NE (EAR), Kansas City, MO (MCI), Madison, WI (MSN), Milwaukee, WI (MKE), Moline, IL (MLI), Omaha, NE (OMA), Peoria, IL (PIA), Quincy, IL (UIN), Scottsbluff, NE (BFF), Wichita, KS (ICT)
Airports that will prove especially problematic are bolded above. Among some of these more problematic airports are Chicago’s O’Hare (ORD) and Midway (MDW) as winter weather is expected to move into the Chicago area by Sunday morning. Major hubs for airlines including American, Southwest, and United, these Chicago airports carry many passengers traveling to or from Midwestern cities.
Winter Storm Bruce is expected to continue its wrath as it makes its way east, with the latest forecasts indicating winter weather affecting Detroit, MI, and cities throughout the Ohio Valley.
As with any potential disruption, stay up to date with the latest forecasts and check with your airline via mobile app or over the phone prior to leaving for the airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees