Airlines Issue Waivers Ahead of Sunday Storm
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A massive winter storm is predicted to have a significant impact on travel throughout the Midwest amidst the hustle and bustle of post-Thanksgiving travel. Winter Storm Bruce is expected to bring heavy snow and sleet from the Rockies to the Upper Midwest beginning Saturday night. The National Weather Service anticipates “dangerous travel” conditions for the hardest hit areas. While those taking to the roads might come across traffic jams and slick road conditions, air travel will not be spared. Widespread delays are expected across the Midwest and Plains states.
Major airlines have issued travel waivers ahead of the winter storm. A list of airlines and the destinations included in each airline’s waivers can be found below:
- American Airlines (Traveling on Nov. 24 – 25): Waterloo, Iowa (ALO), Appleton, Wisconsin (ATW), Cedar Rapids, Iowa (CID), Columbia, Missouri (COU), Dubuque, Iowa (DBQ), Des Moines, Iowa (DSM), Green Bay, Wisconsin (GRB), Kansas City, Missouri (MCI), Milwaukee, Wisconsin (MKE), Moline, Illinois (MLI), Madison, Wisconsin (MSN), Chicago, Illinois (ORD), Peoria, Illinois (PIA)
- Delta Air Lines (Traveling on Nov. 25 – 26): Bloomington, IL (BMI), Cedar Rapids, IA (CID), Chicago-O’Hare (ORD), Chicago-Midway (MDW), Des Moines, IA (DSM), Kansas City, MO (MCI), Lincoln, NE (LNK), Milwaukee, WI (MKE), Moline, IL (MLI), Madison, WI (MSN), Omaha, NE (OMA), Peoria, IL (PIA)
- Southwest Airlines (Traveling on Nov. 24 – 26): Chicago (MDW), Des Moines (DSM), Kansas City (MCI), Milwaukee (MKE), Omaha (OMA), Wichita (ICT)
- United Airlines (Traveling on Nov. 24 – 26): Appleton, WI (ATW), Cedar Rapids, IA (CID), Columbia, MO (COU), Chicago-O’Hare, IL (ORD), Des Moines, IA (DSM), Green Bay, WI (GRB), Hays, KS (HYS), Kearney, NE (EAR), Kansas City, MO (MCI), Madison, WI (MSN), Milwaukee, WI (MKE), Moline, IL (MLI), Omaha, NE (OMA), Peoria, IL (PIA), Quincy, IL (UIN), Scottsbluff, NE (BFF), Wichita, KS (ICT)
Airports that will prove especially problematic are bolded above. Among some of these more problematic airports are Chicago’s O’Hare (ORD) and Midway (MDW) as winter weather is expected to move into the Chicago area by Sunday morning. Major hubs for airlines including American, Southwest, and United, these Chicago airports carry many passengers traveling to or from Midwestern cities.
Winter Storm Bruce is expected to continue its wrath as it makes its way east, with the latest forecasts indicating winter weather affecting Detroit, MI, and cities throughout the Ohio Valley.
As with any potential disruption, stay up to date with the latest forecasts and check with your airline via mobile app or over the phone prior to leaving for the airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.