Aircraft Bathroom Manufacturers Promise: We Won’t Make Them Any Smaller
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you are troubled by the recent trend towards making aircraft bathrooms smaller, as seen on the Boeing 737 MAX introduced by American and United, rejoice: It will not get any worse.
Leading aircraft bathroom manufacturers Collins Aerospace and Diehl Aviation have both told TPG that the absolute minimum size of their aircraft bathrooms has already been reached, and they will not get any smaller. At this week’s Aircraft Interiors Expo in Hamburg, the two manufacturers showed their latest products, which use space more effectively to maximize room for passengers as well as the airline’s seating density.
Diehl’s smallest model is a fairly generous 31″ width. The company said the smallest acceptable size to maintain comfort and usability is the Airbus Space Saving bathroom, as found on the American Airlines A321neo, which is a slightly smaller 28 – 29 inches. Diehl says it won’t make anything smaller than 31″.
Collins Aerospace on the other hand is the manufacturer of the infamously tiny 24″ bathroom that both American and United have installed on their Boeing 737 MAX aircraft. We have reviewed this product on both carriers and noted the bathroom was an uncomfortably small size, with an almost unusable sink.
Collins defended the 24” bathrooms, saying that the airlines’ decision to maximize seating is a direct response to passenger demands to have lower fares and a more diversified product with more choice,
However the company also said that it won’t go any smaller than that, even if requested by specific airlines or Boeing.
This is because even medium-sized passengers would be physically unable to use them if they were any smaller, something Collins found out after testing with passengers of all sizes for the current model.
This news will come as a relief to passengers, especially those who may already struggle to use even the 29″ width bathrooms on the American A321neo, especially if they are doing things like changing diapers, or their own clothes.
Featured image by the author
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees