Airbus Unveils New Biz Class Couch, but Experts Say It’s Far From Takeoff
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
At the recent Aircraft Interiors Expo in Hamburg, Airbus showed off its new Corner Settee, a couch-like seat for long-haul, narrow-body aircraft. The new seat is an upgrade of the sky couch product that many airlines like Air New Zealand, Thomas Cook and others offer.
This new seat concept is designed for business-class cabins on long-haul flights. Instead of the seat reclining into a sleeping position, it is laid out like a couch, allowing a passenger to lie across the seat rather than reclining. In fact, these seats don’t recline at all. This means that airlines can more densely pack the seats into the business-class cabin with shorter seat pitch.
“It appears to offer the comfort and privacy that premium travelers value on the longer journeys that the A321LR is intended to operate,” Henry Harteveldt, a travel industry analyst and president of Atmosphere Research group, told TPG via email. “As shown, the seat appears to provide a comparable, and perhaps even more generous, amount of sleeping space when compared to current lie-flat business class seats. The seat’s no-recline, fixed position also means travelers won’t intrude on one another’s space when they wish to relax or sleep.”
Harteveldt’s main concern was the stated seat pitch of 32 inches. He noted it “may be uncomfortably tight for travelers who want or prefer to sit up to eat, work or watch a film or TV show. Of course, the airline controls seat pitch, and can adjust this.”
“While I wouldn’t expect to see any airline commit to this soon, the manufacturer that comes up with a good way to improve density on narrowbodies while still having a flat product will do well,” Brett Snyder, president of Cranky Concierge and writer of the Cranky Flier blog, told TPG via email. “With a narrower cabin, seat designers are trying to rethink ways to achieve better density. This idea lets them put rows close together since the traveler will lie sideways, so that can help get more seats per square foot of real estate while still offering a flat(ish) product.”
It remains to be seen if this product or a closely related concept will be getting airborne any time soon.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured photo by @AusBT/Twitter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees