Airbnb’s New Luxury Rentals May Be More Affordable Than You Think
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Get the image of a spare bedroom or pullout sofa out of your head. Airbnb is elbowing its way firmly into the luxury market.
On Tuesday, June 25, Airbnb released a new tier of properties that specifically caters to the upper echelon (otherwise known as the 1%) of travelers.
Aptly named Airbnb Luxe, the new product boasts luxury rentals and experiences that cost an average of $1,500 per guest.
This follows Airbnb’s acquisition of the luxury villa and home rental website Luxury Retreats two years ago — which, according to a statement from Airbnb, helped form the foundation of the high price tag collection of properties now known as Luxe.
Airbnb Luxe is launching with more than 2,000 handpicked homes around the world, “each one passing strict evaluation across 300-plus criteria” such as “rare and unique features” and “chef-grade appliances,” according to the statement.
Nick Guezen, Airbnb’s global director of portfolio strategy told USA Today that, “Only 5% of homes that applied made the cut.”
Properties are currently available across Europe, the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, the Caribbean, Mexico and Central America.
So, as expected with such a rigorous application process, Airbnb Luxe offers some jaw-dropping homes — with correspondingly outrageous price tags. With Airbnb Luxe, you can rent an island in French Polynesia (for $146,426 a night) or stay at an eight-bedroom ski chalet in Verbier with an indoor swimming pool for a cool $51,300 a night.
But even the rest of us can experience at least some of Airbnb’s ultra high-end properties. Here are eight of our favorite Airbnb Luxe rentals that won’t empty the bank account our require a second mortgage.
Priced at about $512 a night, this “Call Me By Your Name”-esque suite is romantic, cozy and privy to some breathtaking views of Florence. The one-bedroom suite accommodates up to two guests and has one bathroom.
Book this one-bedroom, mod property for a cool $446 a night. It’s just the right size for a couple looking for a weekend getaway or a honeymoon adjacent to Buckingham Palace.
We like a pool and a view, but we love a pool with a view. At this El Jobo villa in Costa Rica, up to six guests (sharing two bedrooms and two bathrooms) can get the best of both worlds for $412 a night.
Six guests can enjoy this three-bedrooms, three-bathroom apartment in downtown Los Angeles. For $510 a night, guests enjoy so more than just panoramic views of the city and access to a luxury hot tub and swimming pool. But those are definitely highlights.
All photos courtesy of Airbnb.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.