This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, Airbnb announced that it’s expanding its experiences platform to Puerto Rico.
The home-rental service is partnering with Puerto Rico Governor Ricardo Rosselló to launch 50 new local-led unique experiences in an effort to drive travelers to visit the island and support the region as it continues to build back post-Hurricane Maria. Visitors and locals can now book unique experiences, attractions and tours throughout Puerto Rico, from paddleboarding in a scenic lagoon in Guaynabo to discovering the local art and food scene in Old San Juan.
Puerto Rico has been making a recovery following Hurricane Maria’s devastation of the island, and Airbnb has provided a helping hand in relief efforts. Since October 2017, nearly 3,000 hosts in Puerto Rico have welcomed 112,000 guests, earning more than $17 million, according to Airbnb. With the launch of the new experiences, Airbnb will be donating its fees from trip bookings (both homes and experiences in Puerto Rico) to local recovery organizations for the next three months.
Airbnb Co-Founder, CEO and Head of Community, Brian Chesky said in a statement: “Puerto Rico has long been a top destination for travelers looking to experience its rich culture, beautiful scenery and incredible hospitality. Its determination in the face of such daunting challenges has amazed and inspired us, and we look forward to working with these important partners to unlock the magic of the Island for more travelers from around the world, and empower Puerto Rico’s businesses and people to build an even stronger travel industry than before the hurricane.”
Airbnb experiences launched in November 2016 with 500 experiences across 12 cities. Today, the home rental service offers more than 10,000 experiences in almost 180 cities and is looking to expand to 1,000 destinations by the end of 2018 — some of which include places like Easter Island, Tasmania and Iceland.
Airbnb told TPG: “We believe quality is the key long-term differentiator for experiences, and as we expand into these new destinations, we will be double-downing on a handful of new categories — namely social impact, social dining, adventures and concerts — to ensure that our hosts are empowered to push the limits of hospitality in unique and unexpected ways.”
Here are some popular Airbnb experiences in Puerto Rico, according to Airbnb, below:
- Beach & Bioluminescent Bay Adventure
- Coconut & Island Survival Workshop
- Be a Manatee Caretaker for a Day
- Old San Juan Best Kept Secrets Tour
- Body Rafting & Caving in a Nature Reserve
Featured Image by Ken Wiedemann / Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees