This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, Airbnb announced that it’s expanding its experiences platform to Puerto Rico.
The home-rental service is partnering with Puerto Rico Governor Ricardo Rosselló to launch 50 new local-led unique experiences in an effort to drive travelers to visit the island and support the region as it continues to build back post-Hurricane Maria. Visitors and locals can now book unique experiences, attractions and tours throughout Puerto Rico, from paddleboarding in a scenic lagoon in Guaynabo to discovering the local art and food scene in Old San Juan.
Puerto Rico has been making a recovery following Hurricane Maria’s devastation of the island, and Airbnb has provided a helping hand in relief efforts. Since October 2017, nearly 3,000 hosts in Puerto Rico have welcomed 112,000 guests, earning more than $17 million, according to Airbnb. With the launch of the new experiences, Airbnb will be donating its fees from trip bookings (both homes and experiences in Puerto Rico) to local recovery organizations for the next three months.
Airbnb Co-Founder, CEO and Head of Community, Brian Chesky said in a statement: “Puerto Rico has long been a top destination for travelers looking to experience its rich culture, beautiful scenery and incredible hospitality. Its determination in the face of such daunting challenges has amazed and inspired us, and we look forward to working with these important partners to unlock the magic of the Island for more travelers from around the world, and empower Puerto Rico’s businesses and people to build an even stronger travel industry than before the hurricane.”
Airbnb experiences launched in November 2016 with 500 experiences across 12 cities. Today, the home rental service offers more than 10,000 experiences in almost 180 cities and is looking to expand to 1,000 destinations by the end of 2018 — some of which include places like Easter Island, Tasmania and Iceland.
Airbnb told TPG: “We believe quality is the key long-term differentiator for experiences, and as we expand into these new destinations, we will be double-downing on a handful of new categories — namely social impact, social dining, adventures and concerts — to ensure that our hosts are empowered to push the limits of hospitality in unique and unexpected ways.”
Here are some popular Airbnb experiences in Puerto Rico, according to Airbnb, below:
- Beach & Bioluminescent Bay Adventure
- Coconut & Island Survival Workshop
- Be a Manatee Caretaker for a Day
- Old San Juan Best Kept Secrets Tour
- Body Rafting & Caving in a Nature Reserve
Featured Image by Ken Wiedemann / Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees