Airbnb Launches New Experiences in Puerto Rico
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, Airbnb announced that it’s expanding its experiences platform to Puerto Rico.
The home-rental service is partnering with Puerto Rico Governor Ricardo Rosselló to launch 50 new local-led unique experiences in an effort to drive travelers to visit the island and support the region as it continues to build back post-Hurricane Maria. Visitors and locals can now book unique experiences, attractions and tours throughout Puerto Rico, from paddleboarding in a scenic lagoon in Guaynabo to discovering the local art and food scene in Old San Juan.
Puerto Rico has been making a recovery following Hurricane Maria’s devastation of the island, and Airbnb has provided a helping hand in relief efforts. Since October 2017, nearly 3,000 hosts in Puerto Rico have welcomed 112,000 guests, earning more than $17 million, according to Airbnb. With the launch of the new experiences, Airbnb will be donating its fees from trip bookings (both homes and experiences in Puerto Rico) to local recovery organizations for the next three months.
Airbnb Co-Founder, CEO and Head of Community, Brian Chesky said in a statement: “Puerto Rico has long been a top destination for travelers looking to experience its rich culture, beautiful scenery and incredible hospitality. Its determination in the face of such daunting challenges has amazed and inspired us, and we look forward to working with these important partners to unlock the magic of the Island for more travelers from around the world, and empower Puerto Rico’s businesses and people to build an even stronger travel industry than before the hurricane.”
Airbnb experiences launched in November 2016 with 500 experiences across 12 cities. Today, the home rental service offers more than 10,000 experiences in almost 180 cities and is looking to expand to 1,000 destinations by the end of 2018 — some of which include places like Easter Island, Tasmania and Iceland.
Airbnb told TPG: “We believe quality is the key long-term differentiator for experiences, and as we expand into these new destinations, we will be double-downing on a handful of new categories — namely social impact, social dining, adventures and concerts — to ensure that our hosts are empowered to push the limits of hospitality in unique and unexpected ways.”
Here are some popular Airbnb experiences in Puerto Rico, according to Airbnb, below:
- Beach & Bioluminescent Bay Adventure
- Coconut & Island Survival Workshop
- Be a Manatee Caretaker for a Day
- Old San Juan Best Kept Secrets Tour
- Body Rafting & Caving in a Nature Reserve
Featured Image by Ken Wiedemann / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.