Airbnb Dives into the Surfing Game
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Surfs up! Summer is coming, and Airbnb is partnering with the World Surf League (WSL) to add more surf-based activities and tours to its Experiences platform.
Airbnb first teamed up with WSL in 2016 to offer curated home options to travelers in top surf destinations. Now, the two companies are joining forces again to bring surf experiences led by local businesses to travelers in top surf destination around the world. Travelers can book one of 75+ experiences hosted by surf pros, certified coaches and influencers including an exclusive, one-time surf lesson and experience led by Aussie ex-pro Luke Stedman at The WSL Surf Ranch in California. The experience also includes a meet and greet with actor and surfer Scott Eastwood.
Surf-based experiences are among the most popular experiences on the platform and has steadily been on the rise. In 2017, there were more than 170,000 guest booked homes in select surfing communities. Among the top three destinations were Pupukea, Hawaii; Mundaka, Spain and Jeffrey’s Bay in South Africa.
“Surfing is one of the top things people want to do when they travel, but many are scared to try at first,” Airbnb Co-Founder, CEO and Head of Community Brian Chesky said. “No matter your experience level, these Experiences provide a more intimate, personal and welcoming experience than you’d get otherwise, and a chance for local surf communities to earn extra income doing what they love.”
With the launch of the new WSL experiences, Airbnb will be donating its fees from trip bookings to to PURE: Ocean Health, a non-profit dedicated to working with and supporting ocean advocacy organizations.
Other Airbnb surfing Experiences now available include:
- Edouard & Antoine Delpero Surf School (Biarritz, France). Learn to surf or fine-tune your technique with the Delpero brothers at the major surfing destination in the heart of Basque country.
- Girls on Board Surf School (Phillip Island, Australia). Led by Jess Laing, Girls on Board will take you surfing at stunning Phillip Island.
- Surf Coaching with Leo Neves (Saquarema, Brazil). WSL veteran Leo Neves will take your surfing to the next level. Hone your skills with pro tips and video analysis.
- Learn to Shape with Carl Schaper (Haleiwa, HI). Cut the foam and learn to shape a surfboard with Carl Schaper of Carl Schaper Surfboards on the iconic North Shore of Oahu.
Featured image by John Seaton Callahan//Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.