Airbnb Is Launching New ‘Adventures’ Today
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airbnb is getting adventurous.
Early on Thursday, the vacation rental site announced the launch of Airbnb Adventures, an adventure tourism platform that will be an all-in-one product for accommodations, meals, expeditions and more. The brand is calling it an “expansion” of Airbnb Experiences.
Some of the 200-plus adventures include tracking lions on foot with Sabache warriors in Kenya; searching for UFOs in Arizona; and cliff camping in Colorado.
Airbnb Adventures is open for booking as of Thursday morning, with itineraries ranging from $79 to $5,000 and spread across six different continents. The average adventure lasts around a weekend, and will cost just shy of $600, but they vary from an overnight trip to a 10-day trek.
All “Adventures” are organized for small groups capped at 12 guests and include a wide variety of activities and appeal to a number of interests. There are epicurean getaways, for example, as well as music campouts and such eyebrow-raising experiences as “seaweed safaris” and trips dedicated to the search for Sasquatch.
Each Airbnb Adventure expedition is hosted by a local host, and most of these trips are exclusive to Airbnb. All the initial hosts were exclusively invited, but there will be an application open for hosts to apply according to expertise, connections and access.
Will and Jewel Johnson, for example, are two Airbnb Adventure hosts based in Wakarusa, Indiana. They will open their barn to Adventures in August and hope to show visitors their Anabaptist “celebration of simplicity.” Some activities they will offer travelers include cycling, hiking, gathering eggs, making jam, leather and woodworking skills and more.
The Johnsons say they chose to work with Airbnb because they have used the platform in the past for their own family and felt a special connection to the company.
“Airbnb made us feel like we really did have a story to tell and people wanted to experience us living in our natural, normal life,” said Will Johnson.
Airbnb Adventures seems to be many years in the making. After all, back in 2016, the site launched Airbnb Experiences — a similar concept to the larger Adventures — offering day-long tours and activities in more than 1,000 cities worldwide.
But with Adventures, Airbnb goes the extra step by fulfilling travelers’ lodging needs and providing all meals and activities. The hope is to ease the stress on travelers planning trips by being a one-stop travel shop — and, undoubtedly, to tap into the lucrative adventure travel market, which was valued at over $638 billion in 2017, according to the Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA).
Airbnb isn’t the only travel brand extending its influence in the experiential and adventure travel space. Late last year, the fitness and wellness juggernaut Equinox announced it would launch multiday luxury tours with an emphasis on active adventures (think: “summit chasing” in Morocco) this spring.
Sadly, there’s still no loyalty program in place to reward travelers who stay within the Airbnb ecosystem for everything from lodging to tours and meals. Fortunately, you don’t have to completely give up award travel when you stay in a Airbnb (or book an Adventure) as you can charge the stay to cards such as the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard or Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card and use the “miles” from those cards to offset the charge.
Featured image courtesy of Airbnb.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees