Air New Zealand Sets New Flight Record
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air New Zealand flight NZ26 successfully completed the longest flight in the airline’s history when it touched down at O’Hare International Airport (ORD) in Chicago on November 30, 2018. The flight — which departed from Auckland (AKL) — covered around 8,200 miles. In what was surely a welcome relief to passengers and crew after being airborne for more than 14 hours, the aircraft actually arrived about 30 minutes ahead of schedule.
The route is being flown by a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner. The plane’s current configuration allows for 302 passengers. The cabin features three classes of service. The Business Premier Cabin has 18 fully lie-flat beds arranged in a 1-1-1 layout. Premium Economy — 21 seats — is configured in a 2-3-2 seating arrangement, while Economy is a typical 3-3-3 with room for another 263 passengers. For passengers wanting to travel in a bit more comfort in the back of the plane, Air New Zealand’s Skycouch is available, letting passengers sleep the miles away in Economy.
It was a historic day for O’Hare as well. This flight now marks the longest route by any carrier flying into ORD. The previous record holder is the ORD to Hong Kong (HKG) flights operated by Cathay Pacific and United Airlines. Flights headed to Asia from ORD have the benefit of flying a great circle route to get there. However, with the rise of ultra-long-haul flights coupled with ORD making a concerted effort to attract more international flights, this new record might not last that long.
The flight is currently scheduled for service three times a week from ORD: Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.