Air New Zealand Sets New Flight Record
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air New Zealand flight NZ26 successfully completed the longest flight in the airline’s history when it touched down at O’Hare International Airport (ORD) in Chicago on November 30, 2018. The flight — which departed from Auckland (AKL) — covered around 8,200 miles. In what was surely a welcome relief to passengers and crew after being airborne for more than 14 hours, the aircraft actually arrived about 30 minutes ahead of schedule.
The route is being flown by a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner. The plane’s current configuration allows for 302 passengers. The cabin features three classes of service. The Business Premier Cabin has 18 fully lie-flat beds arranged in a 1-1-1 layout. Premium Economy — 21 seats — is configured in a 2-3-2 seating arrangement, while Economy is a typical 3-3-3 with room for another 263 passengers. For passengers wanting to travel in a bit more comfort in the back of the plane, Air New Zealand’s Skycouch is available, letting passengers sleep the miles away in Economy.
It was a historic day for O’Hare as well. This flight now marks the longest route by any carrier flying into ORD. The previous record holder is the ORD to Hong Kong (HKG) flights operated by Cathay Pacific and United Airlines. Flights headed to Asia from ORD have the benefit of flying a great circle route to get there. However, with the rise of ultra-long-haul flights coupled with ORD making a concerted effort to attract more international flights, this new record might not last that long.
The flight is currently scheduled for service three times a week from ORD: Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees