This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air New Zealand flight NZ26 successfully completed the longest flight in the airline’s history when it touched down at O’Hare International Airport (ORD) in Chicago on November 30, 2018. The flight — which departed from Auckland (AKL) — covered around 8,200 miles. In what was surely a welcome relief to passengers and crew after being airborne for more than 14 hours, the aircraft actually arrived about 30 minutes ahead of schedule.
The route is being flown by a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner. The plane’s current configuration allows for 302 passengers. The cabin features three classes of service. The Business Premier Cabin has 18 fully lie-flat beds arranged in a 1-1-1 layout. Premium Economy — 21 seats — is configured in a 2-3-2 seating arrangement, while Economy is a typical 3-3-3 with room for another 263 passengers. For passengers wanting to travel in a bit more comfort in the back of the plane, Air New Zealand’s Skycouch is available, letting passengers sleep the miles away in Economy.
It was a historic day for O’Hare as well. This flight now marks the longest route by any carrier flying into ORD. The previous record holder is the ORD to Hong Kong (HKG) flights operated by Cathay Pacific and United Airlines. Flights headed to Asia from ORD have the benefit of flying a great circle route to get there. However, with the rise of ultra-long-haul flights coupled with ORD making a concerted effort to attract more international flights, this new record might not last that long.
The flight is currently scheduled for service three times a week from ORD: Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees