Air Greenland breaks record with nearly 8-hour turboprop flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Monday, Air Greenland operated a nonstop seven-hour and 52-minute flight from Copenhagen (CPH) in Denmark to Nuuk (GOH) in Greenland. What made the flight especially unusual was that it was operated by an Air Greenland De Havilland Dash 8-200 aircraft.
As first reported by One Mile at a Time, the 23-year old aircraft, registered OY-GRP, completed the 2,208-mile journey as flight GL6493. This is a flight of epic proportions by an aircraft that we’re most accustomed to seeing flying short-haul, and more often than not, domestic routes.
Usually, the only nonstop route from Greenland to Denmark is operated by an A330-200 from Kangerlussuaq (SFJ) to Copenhagen (CPH). However, that plane was undergoing maintenance in March, so Air Greenland’s eight-hour flight operated via a quick stop in Reykjavik, Iceland.
Since then, Air Greenland, like many other airlines across the world, has stopped operating passenger flights. The airline has continued to operate the route as it still acts as a crucial link for medical staff and the transportation of equipment to help in the fight against the coronavirus outbreak.
The return, record-setting journey, with just two pilots, one flight attendant and one doctor on board took seven hours and 52 minutes of flying time — making it very likely to be the world’s longest ever Dash 8-200 flight. Because the aircraft was so empty, it was able to fly the route without a stop.
Each to their own, of course, but flying on a Dash-8 for that long is probably not something you’d often find on an AvGeek’s flying bucket list.
Featured image of a Dash 7 aircraft by Arterra/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.