Air Force One’s classic Kennedy-era look may remain under President Biden
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with new information.
There are many changes ahead as the U.S. begins to roll out new policies under President Joe Biden.
As of Wednesday afternoon, Air Force One is back at Joint Base Andrews near Washington, D.C. after dropping former President Trump off in Florida – likely his last trip on the Boeing 747.
The jet is now awaiting orders from Joe Biden, the 46th President of the United States.
Of course the most important issue the new administration will face is the federal government’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic that has killed more than 400,000 Americans and decimated the economy. Biden has said he plans to take a more centralized approach to COVID-19 than that of the previous administration.
But one big question in the minds of AvGeeks is: What will Biden do about the new look for Air Force One?
Unveiled in 2019, the previous president’s new look for Air Force One featured a rich red, white and dark blue scheme on a new 747. The new look replaced the iconic blue-forward look picked by first lady Jackie Kennedy that has adorned the presidential transport since 1962.
“When Trump changed it, it was clearly just to resemble his own aircraft. New coats of paint are very easily applied,” Teal Group vice president Richard Aboulafia told Politico in 2020.
There is also plenty of time to change the look of the next Air Force One. Boeing typically does not paint new jets for customers until several months before they are delivered, and the new 747-8is that will carry the president are not due until around 2024.
Biden did not weigh in on the look of Air Force One during the campaign, and it’s unlikely to be a pressing issue during his first few days in the White House.
Featured image by Alex Wong/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees