This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Canada announced Thursday it has finalized a deal to buy the Aeroplan rewards program. This comes as the airline is launching its own loyalty program in 2020. Air Canada said in the statement that members’ current Aeroplan Miles will be honored 1:1 under the airline’s new program when it launches next year.
Air Canada has also secured agreements with the Toronto-Dominion Bank(TD), Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBD) and Visa Canada for credit card loyalty components of the future program. The company also secured an agreement in principal with American Express, which offers Aeroplan co-branded products, for continued participation beyond 2020.
Air Canada first announced its plan to create its own loyalty program in 2017. The company has since been reaching out to more than 30,000 customers to gather feedback on what they would like the new program to offer. According to the airline, the new program will offer more ways to earn and redeem points for “travel, upgrades, experiences, on-board products and everyday indulgences.”
While it’ll be interesting to learn more details about these enhancements, for now the Aeroplan program remains a powerful one for Star Alliance award tickets. While awards on certain partners do incur hefty fuel surcharges, most redemption rates are quite reasonable, and it even offers round-the-world redemption options that’ll hopefully remain in the new program. You can read all about the ins and outs of booking award tickets with Aeroplan for full details.
For now, customers can continue to earn and redeem Aeroplan Miles as normal. There will be no changes to current status levels for members when Air Canada launches the new program some time next year.
Featured photo by Air Canada.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees