Air Canada Finalizes Purchase of Aeroplan
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Canada announced Thursday it has finalized a deal to buy the Aeroplan rewards program. This comes as the airline is launching its own loyalty program in 2020. Air Canada said in the statement that members’ current Aeroplan Miles will be honored 1:1 under the airline’s new program when it launches next year.
Air Canada has also secured agreements with the Toronto-Dominion Bank(TD), Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBD) and Visa Canada for credit card loyalty components of the future program. The company also secured an agreement in principal with American Express, which offers Aeroplan co-branded products, for continued participation beyond 2020.
Air Canada first announced its plan to create its own loyalty program in 2017. The company has since been reaching out to more than 30,000 customers to gather feedback on what they would like the new program to offer. According to the airline, the new program will offer more ways to earn and redeem points for “travel, upgrades, experiences, on-board products and everyday indulgences.”
While it’ll be interesting to learn more details about these enhancements, for now the Aeroplan program remains a powerful one for Star Alliance award tickets. While awards on certain partners do incur hefty fuel surcharges, most redemption rates are quite reasonable, and it even offers round-the-world redemption options that’ll hopefully remain in the new program. You can read all about the ins and outs of booking award tickets with Aeroplan for full details.
For now, customers can continue to earn and redeem Aeroplan Miles as normal. There will be no changes to current status levels for members when Air Canada launches the new program some time next year.
Featured photo by Air Canada.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees