Air Canada Finalizes Purchase of Aeroplan
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Canada announced Thursday it has finalized a deal to buy the Aeroplan rewards program. This comes as the airline is launching its own loyalty program in 2020. Air Canada said in the statement that members’ current Aeroplan Miles will be honored 1:1 under the airline’s new program when it launches next year.
Air Canada has also secured agreements with the Toronto-Dominion Bank(TD), Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBD) and Visa Canada for credit card loyalty components of the future program. The company also secured an agreement in principal with American Express, which offers Aeroplan co-branded products, for continued participation beyond 2020.
Air Canada first announced its plan to create its own loyalty program in 2017. The company has since been reaching out to more than 30,000 customers to gather feedback on what they would like the new program to offer. According to the airline, the new program will offer more ways to earn and redeem points for “travel, upgrades, experiences, on-board products and everyday indulgences.”
While it’ll be interesting to learn more details about these enhancements, for now the Aeroplan program remains a powerful one for Star Alliance award tickets. While awards on certain partners do incur hefty fuel surcharges, most redemption rates are quite reasonable, and it even offers round-the-world redemption options that’ll hopefully remain in the new program. You can read all about the ins and outs of booking award tickets with Aeroplan for full details.
For now, customers can continue to earn and redeem Aeroplan Miles as normal. There will be no changes to current status levels for members when Air Canada launches the new program some time next year.
Featured photo by Air Canada.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.