Air Canada status match now posting, choose Select Benefits now
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, Air Canada announced a status match program for U.S. residents. This status match lets those with existing U.S. airline status match to an equivalent status on Air Canada through Dec. 31, 2021, with the option to extend by taking a single round-trip flight with Air Canada by Jan. 15, 2022.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
As a refresher, Alaska, American, Delta, Hawaiian, JetBlue and Southwest elite members are eligible for this status match.
Status matches aren’t taking long either. Those who initiated status matches are seeing Air Canada elite status applied to their accounts starting yesterday, Oct. 2, 2021. Members received a standard elite status qualification email that states the airline is sending a physical elite status card and bag tag in “the coming weeks”, though the status match FAQ says these haven’t been sent yet.
Matched elites can, however, choose their Select Benefits immediately. This includes additional eUpgrade certificates, bonus mileage earning and reduced qualification requirements, among other options. These are essentially ways to let you personalize your Air Canada elite status experience. Other benefits of status include Star Alliance lounge access — including the United Club — at the 50K elite level and upgrade certificates.
Still waiting on your status match? Air Canada’s status match FAQ page notes that members will receive confirmation of their status match within three days of applying and see their new airline status within five days of applying.
If you haven’t already, you can apply for a status match by filling out this form on Air Canada’s Status Matcher page. Note that you can only apply for an Air Canada status match once every two years. The promotion ends Dec. 31, 2021, but there are a limited number of complimentary status matches available, so act quickly if you want to take advantage of it.
It’s great to see Air Canada’s status match post so quickly, especially given that travelers only have three-and-a-half months to book and fly to a recently reopened Canada.
Air Canada status can yield great value for U.S.-based travelers, like United Club access and eUpgrades good for use on most Air Canada flights. Even if you’re not traveling to Canada by Jan. 15, 2022, it may be worth matching for United Club access through the end of the year.
Feature photo by Joel Serre / Shutterstock.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees