Air Canada status match now posting, choose Select Benefits now
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, Air Canada announced a status match program for U.S. residents. This status match lets those with existing U.S. airline status match to an equivalent status on Air Canada through Dec. 31, 2021, with the option to extend by taking a single round-trip flight with Air Canada by Jan. 15, 2022.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
As a refresher, Alaska, American, Delta, Hawaiian, JetBlue and Southwest elite members are eligible for this status match.
Status matches aren’t taking long either. Those who initiated status matches are seeing Air Canada elite status applied to their accounts starting yesterday, Oct. 2, 2021. Members received a standard elite status qualification email that states the airline is sending a physical elite status card and bag tag in “the coming weeks”, though the status match FAQ says these haven’t been sent yet.
Matched elites can, however, choose their Select Benefits immediately. This includes additional eUpgrade certificates, bonus mileage earning and reduced qualification requirements, among other options. These are essentially ways to let you personalize your Air Canada elite status experience. Other benefits of status include Star Alliance lounge access — including the United Club — at the 50K elite level and upgrade certificates.
Still waiting on your status match? Air Canada’s status match FAQ page notes that members will receive confirmation of their status match within three days of applying and see their new airline status within five days of applying.
If you haven’t already, you can apply for a status match by filling out this form on Air Canada’s Status Matcher page. Note that you can only apply for an Air Canada status match once every two years. The promotion ends Dec. 31, 2021, but there are a limited number of complimentary status matches available, so act quickly if you want to take advantage of it.
It’s great to see Air Canada’s status match post so quickly, especially given that travelers only have three-and-a-half months to book and fly to a recently reopened Canada.
Air Canada status can yield great value for U.S.-based travelers, like United Club access and eUpgrades good for use on most Air Canada flights. Even if you’re not traveling to Canada by Jan. 15, 2022, it may be worth matching for United Club access through the end of the year.
Feature photo by Joel Serre / Shutterstock.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.