See it now; Smithsonian’s Air and Space Museum to close for 6 months
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re planning a visit to the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C., now is the time to do it. The Smithsonian museum’s main building on the National Mall will close in March 2022 until the fall for renovations.
The museum, widely regarded as one of the top AvGeek attractions in the nation’s capital, is in the midst of a massive seven-year renovation project. Portions of the museum’s National Mall building have been partially closed since 2018, and it was also closed for an extended period of time due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
This round of renovations focuses on the building’s west-end galleries. When the museum reopens, the exhibits in this space will include “America by Air” (which features the nose of a Boeing 747, a Douglas DC-3 and a Ford Tri-Motor), “The Wright Brothers & the Invention of the Aerial Age” and “Nation of Speed.” The museum store and planetarium will also reopen at that time.
The project’s focus will then shift to the east end of the building. The entire renovation is expected to be completed in 2025.
The museum’s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center that’s located adjacent to Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) in Chantilly, Virginia, will remain open, and the museum is encouraging visits during the main building’s closure. That campus features some remarkable artifacts, including an Air France Concorde, the Boeing 367-80 (the prototype for the venerable 707) and the Space Shuttle Discovery.
Admission is free at the Udvar-Hazy Center (just like at the main building), but expect to pay $15 for parking there.
If you do make it to the main building before the closure, know that hours are currently limited and it’s currently only open between Thursday and Monday, from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Featured photo by f11photo/Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.