See it now; Smithsonian’s Air and Space Museum to close for 6 months
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re planning a visit to the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C., now is the time to do it. The Smithsonian museum’s main building on the National Mall will close in March 2022 until the fall for renovations.
The museum, widely regarded as one of the top AvGeek attractions in the nation’s capital, is in the midst of a massive seven-year renovation project. Portions of the museum’s National Mall building have been partially closed since 2018, and it was also closed for an extended period of time due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
This round of renovations focuses on the building’s west-end galleries. When the museum reopens, the exhibits in this space will include “America by Air” (which features the nose of a Boeing 747, a Douglas DC-3 and a Ford Tri-Motor), “The Wright Brothers & the Invention of the Aerial Age” and “Nation of Speed.” The museum store and planetarium will also reopen at that time.
The project’s focus will then shift to the east end of the building. The entire renovation is expected to be completed in 2025.
The museum’s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center that’s located adjacent to Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) in Chantilly, Virginia, will remain open, and the museum is encouraging visits during the main building’s closure. That campus features some remarkable artifacts, including an Air France Concorde, the Boeing 367-80 (the prototype for the venerable 707) and the Space Shuttle Discovery.
Admission is free at the Udvar-Hazy Center (just like at the main building), but expect to pay $15 for parking there.
If you do make it to the main building before the closure, know that hours are currently limited and it’s currently only open between Thursday and Monday, from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Featured photo by f11photo/Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees