Aeroplan delays introduction of revenue-based mileage earning until 2023
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Canada’s Aeroplan loyalty program has announced it will delay introducing its new revenue-based mileage accrual program changes until at least 2023, retaining its traditional distance-based system through 2022.
As part of the sweeping Aeroplan changes announced in 2020, the program was set to award points based on how much a ticket costs, rather than on the distance flown. This change was due to commence “later in 2021,” but Aeroplan has now advised TPG this change will not happen before January 2023 at the earliest, and plenty of notice will be given to members.
For more TPG content delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Currently, Aeroplan members earn miles based on the distance and fare class when flying Air Canada — here’s a look at the earning chart:
Elite members also earn the following bonuses:
- Aeroplan 25K: 25%
- Aeroplan 35K: 35%
- Aeroplan 50K: 50%
- Aeroplan 75K: 75%
- Aeroplan Super Elite: 100%
This style of points earning is advantageous for those flying on cheap long-haul tickets. For example, someone that books a flight from Toronto (YYZ) to London-Heathrow (LHR) in premium economy earns 4,445 points one-way. The flight is 3,556 miles long, and the fare earns 125% points per mile flown. This earning is the same whether you pay $500 or $5,000 for your ticket.
When the revenue-based structure does finally commence (likely at some time in 2023), more expensive tickets in premium cabins will earn more points than cheaper tickets. Here is a look at how many points per dollar (before tax) each fare type will earn:
- Basic economy: 2 points per Canadian dollar spent
- Standard, Flex/Comfort and Latitude economy: 3 points per Canadian dollar spent
- Premium economy: 3 points per Canadian dollar spent
- Business class: 3 points per Canadian dollar spent
Additionally, you’ll earn bonus points on your Air Canada award tickets if you have Air Canada Altitude elite status. The higher your status, the more points you’ll earn. This is how many bonus points each tier earns:
- Altitude 25K: 1x bonus points
- Altitude 35K: 1x bonus points
- Altitude 50K: 2x bonus points
- Altitude 75K: 3x bonus points
- Super Elite: 4x bonus points
These points are earned on the fare sans any taxes. This means that a $305 flight on Air Canada would earn 915 Aeroplan points when booked in standard economy or higher. If you have Altitude 25K status, this number jumps to 1,220 points with your 1x bonus.
You’ll also still earn Aeroplan points based on the length of your flight on partner airlines. This includes Star Alliance partners and non-alliance partners like Azul and Etihad Airways.
Featured image by JL IMAGES / Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees