Aeroplan members can now earn and redeem with Azul
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Beginning today, Air Canada Aeroplan members can accumulate and redeem their miles for travel with Azul Brazilian Airlines. That brings the total number of Aeroplan airline partners to 36. Last month, Aeroplan announced that members could earn and redeem miles for Etihad Airways flights.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter!
What makes a frequent flyer program valuable is the ability to earn and redeem miles for flights with the program’s own airline and partner carriers. For Aeroplan, that means flights with all 26 Star Alliance member airlines, along with several non-alliance partners, including limited redemption opportunities with Cathay Pacific, Cathay Dragon, GOL and Olympic Air.
Azul is a carrier based in São Paulo that serves over 100 destinations in South America, the U.S. and Europe. The airline operates a fleet of 145 aircraft, including two-class Airbus A330s. According to Aeroplan, Aeroplan members will have redemption access to all cabins.
When Azul passengers choose to credit their flights to Aeroplan, they’ll earn miles based on the distance flown, combined with a multiplier that varies depending on the class of service and booking class. Below you’ll find the Aeroplan accrual chart for flights operated by Azul.
|Eligible Booking Classes||
Class of Service
|Business Class||J, C, D, I||
|Economy Class||Y, B, A, E, F
G, H, K, L, M
|Economy Class||P, Q||
|Economy Class||S, T, U||
|Economy Class||X, Z||
Air Canada is planning to make changes to the program later in 2020, though long-haul redemptions will likely remain tied to an award chart. Currently, you can book round-trip flights between the continental U.S. or Canada and Southern South America (which includes Brazil) is as follows:
- Economy: 60,000 miles
- Business: 110,000 miles
Or Southern South America to Europe 1 (which includes France and the United Kingdom):
- Economy: 80,000 miles
- Business: 150,000 miles
Note that Azul flights will be subject to Aeroplan’s Fixed Mileage Flight Reward chart. Members will be able to book Azul flights directly through Aeroplan. Azul flights can be combined with flights operated by Air Canada and other partners, and no fuel surcharges will apply on Azul operated flights.
While you can earn Aeroplan miles when you credit partner flights, the easiest way to boost your balance is by utilizing transferrable credit card points. Currently, you can transfer points to Aeroplan at the following rates:
- American Express Membership Rewards: 1:1
- Capital One miles: 2:1.5
- Marriott Bonvoy: 3:1 (with a 5,000-mile bonus for every 60,000 points transferred)
While Azul’s business class is no Etihad Apartment, it’s great to have another airline option to book at a competitive rate with transferrable points. The partnership with Azul is also another reliable way to get to Brazil and other parts of South America.
An Aeroplan spokesperson told TPG that the airline would continue to add new airline partners “in the coming weeks,” which is a good sign of things to come.
Featured image courtesy of Embraer
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.