Aeroplan members can now earn and redeem with Azul
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Beginning today, Air Canada Aeroplan members can accumulate and redeem their miles for travel with Azul Brazilian Airlines. That brings the total number of Aeroplan airline partners to 36. Last month, Aeroplan announced that members could earn and redeem miles for Etihad Airways flights.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter!
What makes a frequent flyer program valuable is the ability to earn and redeem miles for flights with the program’s own airline and partner carriers. For Aeroplan, that means flights with all 26 Star Alliance member airlines, along with several non-alliance partners, including limited redemption opportunities with Cathay Pacific, Cathay Dragon, GOL and Olympic Air.
Azul is a carrier based in São Paulo that serves over 100 destinations in South America, the U.S. and Europe. The airline operates a fleet of 145 aircraft, including two-class Airbus A330s. According to Aeroplan, Aeroplan members will have redemption access to all cabins.
When Azul passengers choose to credit their flights to Aeroplan, they’ll earn miles based on the distance flown, combined with a multiplier that varies depending on the class of service and booking class. Below you’ll find the Aeroplan accrual chart for flights operated by Azul.
|Eligible Booking Classes||
Class of Service
|Business Class||J, C, D, I||
|Economy Class||Y, B, A, E, F
G, H, K, L, M
|Economy Class||P, Q||
|Economy Class||S, T, U||
|Economy Class||X, Z||
Air Canada is planning to make changes to the program later in 2020, though long-haul redemptions will likely remain tied to an award chart. Currently, you can book round-trip flights between the continental U.S. or Canada and Southern South America (which includes Brazil) is as follows:
- Economy: 60,000 miles
- Business: 110,000 miles
Or Southern South America to Europe 1 (which includes France and the United Kingdom):
- Economy: 80,000 miles
- Business: 150,000 miles
Note that Azul flights will be subject to Aeroplan’s Fixed Mileage Flight Reward chart. Members will be able to book Azul flights directly through Aeroplan. Azul flights can be combined with flights operated by Air Canada and other partners, and no fuel surcharges will apply on Azul operated flights.
While you can earn Aeroplan miles when you credit partner flights, the easiest way to boost your balance is by utilizing transferrable credit card points. Currently, you can transfer points to Aeroplan at the following rates:
- American Express Membership Rewards: 1:1
- Capital One miles: 2:1.5
- Marriott Bonvoy: 3:1 (with a 5,000-mile bonus for every 60,000 points transferred)
While Azul’s business class is no Etihad Apartment, it’s great to have another airline option to book at a competitive rate with transferrable points. The partnership with Azul is also another reliable way to get to Brazil and other parts of South America.
An Aeroplan spokesperson told TPG that the airline would continue to add new airline partners “in the coming weeks,” which is a good sign of things to come.
Featured image courtesy of Embraer
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees