Gulf Air becomes Aeroplan’s 45th airline partner — here’s what you should know
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Canada’s Aeroplan has built an impressive roster of partner airlines. And that’s not only within the Star Alliance network.
Today, you can add the frequent flyer program’s 45th airline to the list. Gulf Air becomes the latest non-alliance carrier to partner with Aeroplan, allowing passengers to both earn and redeem Aeroplan points.
Gulf Air is the national carrier of Bahrain, serving 55 cities in 30 countries — primarily in the Middle East, Europe and Asia — with a fleet of narrow-body Airbus A320 and widebody Boeing 787 aircraft.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Earning Aeroplan points
Aeroplan members flying on Gulf Air flights can now earn Aeroplan points by adding their Aeroplan frequent flyer number to their reservations. Here’s how many points you’d earn, based on the booking class.
|Cabin||Booking class||Aeroplan points
(% of miles flown)
|Business||J, C, D, I||125%|
|L, M, B, H||50%|
|U, V, E, O, N, S, K, X, Q, W||25%|
Redeeming Aeroplan points
You can redeem Aeroplan points on Gulf Air flights the same way you would with any other partner carrier. Flights are priced based on the Aeroplan award chart, updated late last year, so longer flights cost more points. You will also be charged a $29 partner booking fee on Gulf Air flights booked with Aeroplan points.
This all comes on the heels of a completely revamped Aeroplan loyalty program Air Canada introduced in late 2020. From the elimination of fuel surcharges to generous stopover rules and some new sweet spots, there were plenty of updates to be excited about.
Earning Aeroplan points
Aeroplan partners with several transferable points programs, letting you instantly top up your account when you’re ready to book an award. You can transfer points to Aeroplan with the following programs:
- American Express Membership Rewards (1:1 ratio)
- Capital One Rewards (2:1.5 ratio)
- Marriott Bonvoy (3:1 ratio with a 5,000-mile bonus for every 60,000 points transferred)
- Chase Ultimate Rewards (1:1 ratio)
In fact, it was just earlier this month that it became possible to transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards to Aeroplan at a 1:1 ratio (1 Ultimate Rewards point is equal to 1 Aeroplan point).
Now, those points can get you further with Gulf Air as the latest addition to Aeroplan’s roster.
Featured photo by Fabrizio Gandolfo/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees