Earn 2,500 bonus Aeroplan miles after signing up for a new account
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Tuesday, Air Canada announced what the future of its loyalty program Aeroplan will look like — and, for the most part, the new program is positive. As of later this year, Aeroplan will begin rolling out its phased relaunch, before the entire program is live by next year. And now, the program is trying to entice new customers to sign up.
As first reported by One Mile at a Time, Aeroplan is offering new members 2,500 bonus miles just for signing up at this link. In order to get the 2,500 bonus miles, you have to register to become a member and earn one mile by Sept. 30.
You can earn one mile by Sept. 30 by flying and crediting your Star Alliance or other partner flight to Air Canada, buying miles or converting points from Marriott Bonvoy to Aeroplan miles. Perhaps the easiest way of all is by transferring 1,000 American Express Membership Rewards points to Aeroplan. The instant transfer will qualify you for the bonus miles.
Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, 2,500 miles are worth around $38 at this moment. However, when the new program launches in November, the miles will be converted to points in the new program, and they could become more valuable, given the changes to the program.
On Tuesday, Aeroplan unveiled what the future of the program will look like — and, to break the loyalty program trend, it’s not a devaluation. In fact, Aeroplan took the route of innovating its offering to give members new ways to earn and spend their points. As part of that, Aeroplan announced that, while it was raising redemption amounts in some cases, it was removing surcharges. Meaning you may expect to spend more miles for the redemption, but gone are the days of surcharges of more than $1,000.
Additionally, the program is adding some innovative new benefits for members. For example, with the introduction of Family Sharing accounts, families can now pool their point balances together and redeem points from the pool.
Ultimately, if you’re not yet an Aeroplan member, this is a perfect time to sign up. And if you have family members who also don’t yet have an Aeroplan account, you may want to sign them up for an account. Then, come November when the new program officially launches, if you pool the points together, you could have a decent amount of points in your pooled account.
Featured photo courtesy of Air Canada.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.