Earn 2,500 bonus Aeroplan miles after signing up for a new account
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Tuesday, Air Canada announced what the future of its loyalty program Aeroplan will look like — and, for the most part, the new program is positive. As of later this year, Aeroplan will begin rolling out its phased relaunch, before the entire program is live by next year. And now, the program is trying to entice new customers to sign up.
As first reported by One Mile at a Time, Aeroplan is offering new members 2,500 bonus miles just for signing up at this link. In order to get the 2,500 bonus miles, you have to register to become a member and earn one mile by Sept. 30.
You can earn one mile by Sept. 30 by flying and crediting your Star Alliance or other partner flight to Air Canada, buying miles or converting points from Marriott Bonvoy to Aeroplan miles. Perhaps the easiest way of all is by transferring 1,000 American Express Membership Rewards points to Aeroplan. The instant transfer will qualify you for the bonus miles.
Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, 2,500 miles are worth around $38 at this moment. However, when the new program launches in November, the miles will be converted to points in the new program, and they could become more valuable, given the changes to the program.
On Tuesday, Aeroplan unveiled what the future of the program will look like — and, to break the loyalty program trend, it’s not a devaluation. In fact, Aeroplan took the route of innovating its offering to give members new ways to earn and spend their points. As part of that, Aeroplan announced that, while it was raising redemption amounts in some cases, it was removing surcharges. Meaning you may expect to spend more miles for the redemption, but gone are the days of surcharges of more than $1,000.
Additionally, the program is adding some innovative new benefits for members. For example, with the introduction of Family Sharing accounts, families can now pool their point balances together and redeem points from the pool.
Ultimately, if you’re not yet an Aeroplan member, this is a perfect time to sign up. And if you have family members who also don’t yet have an Aeroplan account, you may want to sign them up for an account. Then, come November when the new program officially launches, if you pool the points together, you could have a decent amount of points in your pooled account.
Featured photo courtesy of Air Canada.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees