Aeromexico Offers ‘DNA Discounts’ For Americans With Mexican Ancestry
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“Mexico’s first destination is America. But America’s first destination is not Mexico.”
These two sentences kick off Aeromexico’s viral “DNA Discounts” commercial. The whimsical video goes on to interview some Americans in Wharton, Texas, regarding their perceptions of Mexico as a destination to visit, with varying responses. The kicker: Each of the interviewees, it turns out, has some Mexican ancestry.
“We did a DNA test to find out their percentage of Mexican ancestry, and turned that into discounts,” the video narrator says, explaining that the history of mutual immigration between the United States and its neighbor to the south dates back as far as the early 1800s, especially in southwestern states such as Arizona and Utah. “A big percentage of Mexican descendants in the USA don’t even know it yet. The more Mexican they are, the more discount they get.”
In the video, each interviewee is informed of his or her ancestry on-camera, with varying responses. The amount of their Aeromexico flight discount is proportionate to their Mexican heritage. “You are eligible for a 15% discount to go to Mexico,” the interviewer tells one blonde woman, who grins and pumps her fist. “What do you think of that?”
“Yes!” she replies with a laugh. “I love discounts.”
Another man is far more flabbergasted by his 22% ancestry results. “Oh come on, now,” he says with skepticism. “Seriously?!”
According to the commercial, the discount will be extended to eligible residents of Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee, although Aeromexico has not formally made any acknowledgement of the ad, which was produced by advertising agency Ogilvy, which represents the airline. In the video, the letters EE.UU appear on the map as well, representing the Spanish acronym, which abbreviates the phrase, “Soy de Los Estados Unidos”: I’m from the United States.
TPG has reached out to Aeromexico for comment, but had not heard back as of the time of publication.
All photos courtesy of Aeromexico.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list//
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees