Aer Lingus to Launch North American A321LR Routes Next Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus will soon launch one of its newest aircraft, the A321LR. Although it won’t be the first airline to take delivery of the narrowbody plane, Irish carrier Aer Lingus will start flying the long-range aircraft in the second quarter of 2019.
The A321LR is a single-aisle narrowbody aircraft that has a range much further than any other aircraft its size — even the newer more fuel efficient Boeing 737MAX or A320neo. It’s also a lot cheaper to operate than older aircraft like the Boeing 757 or larger ones like the Airbus A330 — both of which Aer Lingus currently flies.
Aer Lingus will add 12 A321LRs to its fleet over the next few years — taking delivery of four in 2019.
Aer Lingus CEO Stephen Kavanagh recently spoke about where he sees the new aircraft flying, saying it will cut its list from two to three destinations in North America. While the carrier currently flies to 13 North American destinations the Irish Times reports that Pittsburgh (PIT) and Montreal (YUL) are in the running for LR service.
Aer Lingus has lie-flat business class seats on its narrowbody 757s — so it’s quite possible we’ll see them installed on its LRs.
In addition to Avios, you can also redeem Aeroplan, Alaska and United miles for Aer Lingus flights. American Express just added Aer Lingus Avios as a transfer partner, which has fantastic off-peak award pricing. The airline recently teamed up with Chase to introduce a new co-brand credit card, the Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card.
Air Transat will be the first North American airline to operate the A321LR while other confirmed customers include Azores Airlines, Primeria Air TAP Portugal and Norwegian Air. JetBlue has been eyeing the LR as a way to move into the transatlantic market. The most the aircraft can seat is 240 in an all economy layout, or 206 in a two cabin layout.
H/T: One Mile At A Time
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees