Aer Lingus Welcomes First Airbus A321LR Aircraft
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After a nearly four week delay, Aer Lingus has taken delivery of the airline’s first Airbus A321LR. The A321LR is a variation of Airbus’ A321neo, the aircraft manufacturer’s latest generation A321. In North America, the A321LR will serve new and existing Aer Lingus destinations in the United States and Canada.
Aer Lingus will receive 7 of the narrow-body aircraft, with four A321LRs to be delivered before the end of the year. The Airbus A321LR will allow Aer Lingus to phase out the Boeing 757-200. (Currently, Aer Lingus is wet-leasing four Boeing 757-200s from ASL Airlines Ireland, allowing Aer Lingus to serve additional markets in the US.)
Most recently, Aer Lingus launched nonstop flights from the airline’s hub in Dublin (DUB) to Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport (MSP) in Minnesota. Flights between Dublin and Minneapolis were supposed to commence with the airline utilizing the Airbus A321LR. However, delayed deliveries forced Aer Lingus to operate the first flights to Minneapolis with Boeing 757s. The delayed deliveries of the A321LR also led Aer Lingus to delay new nonstop flights from Dublin to Montreal (YUL).
The A321LR is similar to other variations of the popular A321, however, can operate longer flights thanks to the aircraft’s increased range. It features the same onboard product found on Aer Lingus’ Airbus A330 and wet-leased Boeing 757s. Aer Lingus’ A321LR is configured with 16 fully-lie-flat seats in business class and 168 standard economy class seats. According to PaxEx.Aero, Aer Lingus will offer in-flight WiFi provided by Panasonic and all A321LRs will feature seatback entertainment and power outlets in both business and economy class.
Aer Lingus’ First A321LR Flights
The Airbus A321LR will make its debut on Aer Lingus’ Dublin to Hartford route. The route is currently served with the Boeing 757-200. The route will transition to the Airbus A321LR on August 2.
- Dublin (DUB) to Hartford, CT (BDL) – beginning August 2, 2019
The A321LR will serve additional routes from Ireland to North America as Aer Lingus takes delivery of additional aircraft. Future A321LR routes include:
- Dublin (DUB) to Philadelphia (PHL) – beginning November 1, 2019
- Dublin (DUB) to Washington-Dulles (IAD) – alternating A321LR/330 service begins October 29, 2019
- Dublin (DUB) to Newark (EWR) – alternating A321LR/330 service from February 13 to March 10, 2020
- Shannon (SNN) to Boston (BOS) – beginning January 6, 2020
Booking the First A321LR Flights
The first A321LR are currently available for passengers to book. Round-trip cash fares from the United States (Hartford-BDL) to Dublin start at $376 round-trip in economy or $2,647 in business class.
- Avios: from 17k Avios in economy or 50k Avios in business
- United MileagePlus: from 30k miles in economy or 70k miles in business
If you are traveling solo in business class aboard the Airbus A321LR, be sure to select a seat in rows 3 or 5. Rows 3 and 5 feature ‘throne seats’ with just one seat per row. Unfortunately, Aer Lingus does not feature a sliding privacy door at these seats. However, these seats still provide additional privacy and feel more premium compared to other business class seats.
The Aer Lingus Airbus A321LR appears to be a comfortable and passenger-friendly ride, with free in-flight WiFi to allow passengers to stay connected on their hop across the Pond. A321LR flights are scheduled to commence on August 2 on flights between Dublin and Hartford, CT, however, with Aer Lingus having just one A321LR in their fleet at the moment, that date could be pushed back.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees