Aer Lingus can now fly from England to the US opening up new possibilities for American travelers (eventually)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After postponing its new routes between the U.K and the United States earlier this year, Aer Lingus has now received permission from the U.K. Civil Aviation Authority to start service between England and the U.S.
Starting Sept. 30, the Irish airline will launch nonstop service between Manchester (MAN) and New York-JFK and Orlando (MCO). On Oct. 20, a direct flight to Barbados (BGI) will be added. Another route to Boston (BOS) is expected to launch in the summer of 2022.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
These new routes are excellent news for travelers in the northwest of England and potentially, eventually for Americans. Aside from the new nonstop service and extra Avios earning opportunities, this also provides them with a convenient way to get to these destinations on points without having to go to London first.
At least for now, these flights are not for sale to U.S. consumers as you can see in the press release announcing the routes.
An Aer Lingus spokesperson told TPG, “While Aer Lingus awaits imminent approval from the US Department of Transport (DOT), tickets on the Manchester to U.S. services can not be sold in the U.S.”
The DOT has given ‘approval in principle’ for the route, but tickets can’t be sold in the U.S. until final approval is granted.
These new flights can be booked with Avios, and Aer Lingus has recently been added to the American Airlines and British Airways joint venture, meaning there’s ample backup in case of a delay or rebooking.
According to a statement issued by Aer Lingus, the following rates apply for the new flights (per one-way in economy class):
- Manchester (MAN) to New York-JFK: 20,000 Avios in the summer of 2021 (down to 13,000 in autumn and winter)
- Manchester (MAN) to Orlando (MCO): 25,000 Avios in the summer of 2021 (down to 16,250 in autumn and winter)
- Manchester (MAN) to Barbados (BGI): 16,250 Avios in autumn and winter of 2021.
Avios amounts for flights to Boston are yet unknown but are expected to be around 20,000 Avios, given the similar distance to the New York-JFK flights.
In recent years, Aer Lingus has really upped its game with new aircraft and refreshed cabins. The Boston and New York City routes will be flown on the single-aisle Airbus A321Neo, of which the airline took delivery back in 2019.
On the Orlando and Barbados routes, a wide-body Airbus A330 will be used.
Additional reporting by Clint Henderson.
Featured photo by Nicky Kelvin/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees