Aer Lingus confirms December launch of nonstop routes from the US to Manchester, flights now on sale
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This story has been updated with new information.
After several delays, Aer Lingus has confirmed they will launch nonstop transatlantic flights from New York (JFK) and Orlando (MCO) to Manchester (MAN) from Dec. 1 and Dec. 11 respectively. Flights are now on sale.
This confirmation follows the news that fully vaccinated British and European travelers can finally enter the United States from early November. Aer Lingus has cited this lengthy ban as a primary reason for continuing to delay the launch of these unique routes.
In total, the Irish carrier announced in March that it planned to launch four transatlantic flights from Manchester to New York, Boston (BOS), Orlando and Barbados (BGI). The airline still plans to launch Manchester to Boston nonstop in summer 2022.
Two of the routes — from New York and Boston — will be operated by Aer Lingus’ new Airbus A321LR. When the New York route first launches, the airline will become only the second to operate transatlantic flights from the U.S. to the U.K. with the narrow-body A321LR on regularly scheduled services, after the highly anticipated and well-received new JetBlue service.
On the leisure routes — from Orlando and Barbados — Aer Lingus will utilise one of its wide-body Airbus A330 aircraft.
“We are delighted to offer high-quality, direct, nonstop, business and leisure travel options, at very reasonable prices for travelers and holidaymakers across the North of England,” Aer Lingus Chief Commercial Officer David Shepherd said in a statement back in March. “Aer Lingus has been flying to North America for more than 60 years and we also have a proud history with Manchester Airport.
Visitors to the North of England, in particular those in the North West, will now have the option to book using Avios for nonstop transatlantic travel to Manchester from Boston, New York, Orlando and Barbados instead of travelling down to London.
Award redemption rates will be offered at the following levels:
- Manchester – New York: 20,000 Avios oneway in economy on peak dates (13,000 on off-peak dates)
- Manchester – Orlando: 25,000 Avios peak (16,250 off-peak)
- Manchester – Barbados: 16,250 Avios all dates
Award rates to Boston are still not known, but should be the same as for New York. The carrier may join the Oneworld alliance at a later date due to their close association with British Airways, though right now you cannot use non-Avios Oneworld miles such as AAdvantage miles to fly on Aer Lingus.
Aer Lingus is promising oneway fares on New York and Orlando flights from as low as £179 ($245) each way though these appear to have already been all snapped up with all oneway fares being two to three times this price. One-way fares between the U.K. and the U.S. are notoriously expensive on legacy carriers, often being much higher than roundtrip fares on the same route.
Low-cost carrier Norwegian temporarily solved this problem with their excellent oneway fares though they have ceased long-haul operations permanently because of the pandemic.
Additional reporting by Ben Smithson.
Featured image by NurPhoto/Getty
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees