It’s official: Aer Lingus to launch 4 transatlantic routes from England to the US and Caribbean
Aer Lingus confirmed on Wednesday that it will be launching direct, nonstop flights from Manchester, England to the United States and the Caribbean. In total, the Irish carrier will launch four transatlantic flights from Manchester to New York, Boston, Orlando and Barbados.
As of July 29, Aer Lingus will launch its first-ever transatlantic service from Manchester to the U.S. by flying to New York (JFK) and Orlando (MCO). Then, on Oct. 20, Aer Lingus will begin flying from Manchester (MAN) to Barbados (BGI). Finally, in summer 2022, the airline will fly from Manchester (MAN) to Boston (BOS).
Two of the routes — to JFK and BOS — will be operated by Aer Lingus’ new Airbus A321LR. When the JFK route first launches, the airline will become the first to operate transatlantic flights from the U.S. to the U.K. with the narrow-body A321LR on regularly scheduled services.
On the leisure routes — to MCO and BGI — Aer Lingus will utilize one of its wide-body Airbus A330 aircraft.
“We are delighted to offer high-quality, direct, nonstop, business and leisure travel options, at very reasonable prices for travelers and holidaymakers across the North of England,” Aer Lingus Chief Commercial Officer David Shepherd said in a statement. “Aer Lingus has been flying to North America for more than 60 years and we also have a proud history with Manchester Airport.”
The transatlantic routes from Manchester were a long time coming. Reports of the routes had been circulating for months before Aer Lingus announced them as official on Wednesday.
Residents in the North of England, in particular those in the North West, will now have the option to book using Avios for direct transatlantic travel from Manchester to Boston (BOS), New York (JFK), Orlando (MCO) and Barbados (BGI) instead of traveling to London.
Award redemption rates will be offered at the following levels:
- Manchester – New York: 20,000 Avios in summer 2021 (13,000 in autumn/winter 2021)
- Manchester – Orlando: 25,000 Avios in summer 2021 (16,250 in autumn/winter 2021)
- Manchester – Barbados: 16,2500 Avios in autumn/winter 2021 when the route launches.
Award rates to Boston were not included in Wednesday’s announcement.
Aer Lingus said that with the establishment of the four routes from Manchester to the U.S. and the Caribbean, it will have created 120 job opportunities in the North of England — mostly in cabin crew roles.
Featured image by NurPhoto/Getty
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.