Aer Lingus forced to delay launch of nonstop routes from England to the US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This story has been updated with new information.
The routes that were set to launch from Manchester (MAN) to New York (JFK) and Orlando (MCO) on July 29, have been pushed back to September. More specifically, Aer Lingus plans to launch the nonstop routes from MAN to New York and Orlando on Sept. 30, while it plans to launch the nonstop to Barbados on Oct. 20.
“Due to international borders opening later than expected, Aer Lingus (UK) Ltd. is postponing the start of new transatlantic services between Manchester Airport and New York JFK and Orlando,” Aer Lingus said in a statement. “New services to Barbados will launch as scheduled.”
In total, the Irish carrier announced in March that it planned to launch four transatlantic flights from Manchester, England, to New York, Boston, Orlando and Barbados.
The airline still plans to launch the Manchester (MAN) to Boston (BOS) nonstop in summer 2022.
Two of the routes — to JFK and BOS — will be operated by Aer Lingus’ new Airbus A321LR. When the JFK route first launches, the airline will become the first to operate transatlantic flights from the U.S. to the U.K. with the narrow-body A321LR on regularly scheduled services.
On the leisure routes — to MCO and BGI — Aer Lingus will utilize one of its wide-body Airbus A330 aircraft.
“We are delighted to offer high-quality, direct, nonstop, business and leisure travel options, at very reasonable prices for travelers and holidaymakers across the North of England,” Aer Lingus Chief Commercial Officer David Shepherd said in a statement in March. “Aer Lingus has been flying to North America for more than 60 years and we also have a proud history with Manchester Airport.”
Residents in the North of England, in particular those in the North West, will now have the option to book using Avios for direct transatlantic travel from Manchester to Boston (BOS), New York (JFK), Orlando (MCO) and Barbados (BGI) instead of traveling to London.
Award redemption rates will be offered at the following levels:
- Manchester – New York: 20,000 Avios in summer 2021 (13,000 in autumn/winter 2021)
- Manchester – Orlando: 25,000 Avios in summer 2021 (16,250 in autumn/winter 2021)
- Manchester – Barbados: 16,2500 Avios in autumn/winter 2021 when the route launches.
Award rates to Boston are still not known, but should be around the 20,000-Avios mark.
Aer Lingus said that with the establishment of the four routes from Manchester to the U.S. and the Caribbean, it will have created 120 job opportunities in the North of England — mostly in cabin crew roles.
Featured image by NurPhoto/Getty
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees